Thursday, May 31, 2018

Adragard interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?



1. After some years Adragard has resuscitated from the ruins where I buried it, and this time I can assure you it’s here to remain. We are working on the next album that probably will be out next year.



2.In February you had released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?



2. The music is as usual pure Black Metal 90’s way, but this time there are more evident influence of the first wave (Bathory above all) and of classic doom as well. The main difference is that for the first time we got a real drummer and this add a special vibe to the album. Another difference is that for this album, I’ve tried to write songs using a classic metal structure, and this is the real difference from the new stuff and the older one. The first demo was inspired exclusively by the second wave of Black Metal (Darkthrone, Burzum etc.) now after all the years passed devouring Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer and so on I feel really confident to write music looking into the deepest past. Of course the fast riffs in tremolo picking got the same 90’s inspiration.



3.This is your first album to be released in 8 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time span?



3. Nothing relevant. Personal issues and lots of shit due to the fucking earthquake that destroyed our hometown. We've been forced to rebuilt ourselves over these ruins.



4.Your lyrics over the years do cover some Luciferian, Pagan and Blasphemous themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the dark arts?



4. I can’t tell you much, because it’s not easy to express these topics with words. But I'll try.  The first demo of Adragard was all about Paganism, in particular about the old pagan culture of my hometown. Back then I was really into those topics. After the first demo the lyrics were totally Lucifer addict. Not so far indeed, because I do not mean Lucifer like the one depicted by the fucking christianity but like the divinity that exists before christ. Lucifer is really something that lives in the depths of my heart and inspires all my action. But I am not a religious person and my thought is based on a non-religious-pagan view, as strange as it seems. The lyrics of the last album moved again and this time the presence of Lucifer is less direct but I can assure you that He is still there. Blasphemy ... I do not know ...  the blasphemy in my lyrics is in the eyes of the reader.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Adragard'?



5. The meaning of the name Adragard is buried by time and dust quoting one of my favorite song. It’s a fusion of the names of a demon and a minor pagan divinity.



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album?



6. The photo on the tape cover has been taken in a forest near my home by a friend of mine. It’s a really suggestive and obscure place. A lot of people are scared by that woods due to the dark and asphyxiating atmosphere so I think has been a perfect choose. The cover of the CD is the original cover, linked to the title of the album and it’s a picture that I’ taken in the lake of Campotosto with Niferon. A lake not far away from my home. I use to go there often, especially at the sunrise or at the sunset. It’s a magic place with extreme climatic condition, during the winter the lake it’s completely frozen… something beyond words.



7.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding your line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?

7. From this album Adragard has a complete line up. Church Destroyer on drums and Gemini on Guitar have joined the blasphemous ranks of Adragard. This is the final line up. There will be no more changes. Our pact has been signed with blood and we’ll continue to spread the Black Plague until our last breath.



8.The new album was released on cassette by 'Depressive Illusions Records', do you feel this format has been making a huge comeback over the years?

8. The album is out even on CD through Perkun Rec. and about the format… the tape format never disappeared but yes now all this old-school-wannabe-trend has caused an increase of tape releases, and this for me, it’s great. This is the first Adragard release out on CD format, all the past stuff is only on tape so I believe tape is perfect for Underground Black Metal because it smells of dedication to the Underground War and has a nostalgic flavor, but I also like CDs. I've buyed lots of great albums of the 90’s on CD so I have nothing to complain about CD. Of course my favorite format is Vinyl but no one seem interested in releasing our shit on vinyl. Fuck!



9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

9. I really don’t know. We don’t have any social profile. We haven’t an official site so we don’t have any direct feedback. Of course this is our choice. There are a couple of review out and they’re good.



10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

10. We’ll continue on the same path of this album. But the next one will be more raw and more chaotic. We’re already working on the new songs but it’s early to say something more, but it's sure there will be no drastic changes. We’ll continue to walk on this rotten putrid street.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

11. My influences are always the same, Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer, Mayhem, Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal, Carpathina Forest and so on. I’m really addicted to metal and music in general, what I listen more comes from the period of time that goes from the late 60’s to the middle of 90’s. I usually don’t mind about music genres, I listen and like music that gives me emotion on a wide range, pure and simple. Regarding new music I usually like bands that sound like the old ones or at least have the same feeling. These days I’m listening to: Comus “First Utterance” 1971, Pagan Altar “Vol I” 1982, Obnoxious Youth “Disturbing The Graves” 2017, Power from hell “Blood 'n' Spikes” 2017, Spiders “Killer Machine” 2018, Terrörhammer “In The Name Of Hell” 2018, VOJD “The Outer Ocean” 2018, Whipstriker “Merciless Artillery” 2017, Aura Noir “Aura Noire” 2018, Hammr “Unholy Destruction” 2018. I mean you got the point. Real metal and rock with true sound and attitude.





12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

12. Thank you for the interview. Support Adragard and spread the Plague!!!

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Adragard/21453




No comments:

Post a Comment