Wednesday, July 1, 2009

PCYST Interview


1. Can you give us a brief history of the band?
PCYST was formed a long while (1997) ago as an underground Noise Industrial project under its original name Polinoidal Cyst. It was a full band project ranging from anywhere to 3 to 7 members. Our music was dark, disturbed and overall with a mean spirit. Kind of a darker version of Throbbing Gristle. We separated in 2002 and the band folded for the most part. In early 2005 I, myself, brought the project back to life by shortening the name to PCYST (pronounced Syste) and turning the project
into symphonic Black Metal with some minor experimental influences.Since 2005, I have released 2 albums and many demos, eps, and splits. My most recent release was in February 2009. A ep called "From the Void".

2. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard you before?
Powerful and very intense. Dark and vengeful.

3. What is the meaning behind the bands name?
Well, I have been asked this question many times by fans. The bands name, as I said earlier, comes from an original name Polinoidal Cyst, which basically is a hereditary medical condition. A cyst like pocket is formed at the base of ones spine. Usually an adult male. Operation of this is usually unsuccessful and one must live with this for the rest of their life. When I shortened the name to PCYST, the original meaning dissolved. What the band name means now is just something original and most likely not something to be duplicated. A lot of band names out there have been used over and over again or the names are just not original at all.

4. What releases have you put out so far?
Under the name of PCYST:Kingdom Misery demo (Oct. 2005)
5000 Years : A Tale of Ice ep (Oct. 2006)
BloodThrone album (March 2007)
The Calling ep (June 2007)
Melody Virus/PCYST split (Sep 2007)
A Wolfen Path ep (Oct 2007)
The Resting Place of Fallen Warriors ep (Dec. 2007)
Bestial Creation/PCYST split (May 2008)
RedFalls album (Sep 2008)From the Void ep (Feb 2009)

5. How would you describe the lyrical content of the music?
The lyrical content is strange to say the least. I suppose it is one of the few things I haven't changed since the old Industrial days. The lyrics are usually straight off the top of my head and don't take much planning. Of course, everything is written out but I don't research what I sing about. At least not usually. What I sing about is whatever I am feeling when I write. It could be anything from sadomasochism to telling stories of old pagan times. Usually the latter.

6. How would you describe the musical progress over the years?
Well, I have been trained in piano and I have been playing the keyboards for about 15 years now. Having said that, when I decided to write Black Metal back in 2005 the original concept for the sound was that of a Symphonic Thrash band. Although, the idea hasn't changed all that much my music is far more Symphonic now then it was 4 years ago. If anything the project has gotten far more vicious over the past 6 months then it has ever been.

7. When can we expect new material and what direction is the music going into during the future?
You will be able to expect new material fairly soon. I have decided to take my music to the next level and work with new musicians. Musicians from bands like Frozen Mist and possibly Funeral Dust. What this means is I will be leaving my own studio to work in a more professional one. Namely Capcomia Studio based in Pennsylvania, USA. As far as sound/direction, it will sound like PCYST revamped. More coherent but just as raw and intense as ever before.

8. What are your main influences music wise or non music wise?
Music wise it is no doubt bands such as Nokturnal Mortum and many others in that field of Black Metal. Non music wise probably from reading or studying subjects that interest me.

9. What are you listening to nowadays and what are some good bands or releases you would recommend?
Well, I am always listening to music in the underground. Frozen Mist is one amazing band. Others would be Black Wraith, Ancestral, Njiqahdda, Eliwagar, Fateless Tears, etc. I highly recommend these bands. But there are many others. All you have to do is look in the underground. You won't have a hard time finding great music.

10. Does Satanism or Occultism play a role in the music or life?
Satanism has never played a role in my music. Mainly because I just don't believe in it. There was a point a few years back when I had done a lot of research on the subject and honestly found it to be quite fascinating. But something about it never clicked with me. I don't believe in the Christian god as upon doing much research I found it to be quite bogus. I am not an agnostic or an atheist. My beliefs are more Pagan based and are a mix of several. This does play a strong role in my music now but not when the project was born.

11. What are some good books or films that you would recommend?
Anything from F. Paul Wilson, at least his early works. And to be honest I rather enjoy Clive Barker. His book The Great and Secret Show is one of the best reads ever. As far as film goes, I have a rather large collection of horror titles. Mostly films from the 70's and 80's. I like a good old fashioned slasher from time to time but I really enjoy the more safisticated titles. Movies like "The Church", "Prince of Darkness" are great as they usually shine a bad light on the Christian religion, which I always enjoy.

12. What is your opinion of the black metal scene in the U.S?
People bash it usually and I don't understand why. The underground scene out here is amazing and filled with some true talent. I think the people that bash the scene out here are usually arrogant and aren't willing to give us a chance. Having said that, I enjoy the underground Black Metal scene all over the world. There are some amazingly talented bands out there. All of which deserve a chance.

13. Any final words?
Thank you very much for the time and the interview. If we had more people like you that are willing to help/support the scene some of us wouldn't be struggling so hard. I have a full time job and I still put most of my time into the project and also taking the time to listen to other projects. All of us in the underground need to help support each
other.

14.Thanks for the interview?
Thank you once again.

https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Pcyst/97805

No comments:

Post a Comment