Friday, July 10, 2009

Sorrows Interview


1. Can you give us a brief history of the band?
Sorrows has been an image I've had in my head for years now. I wrote an albums worth of songs four years ago but never got to recording them. So I felt the need to start fresh and decided to go a different direction instead of going for a traditional black metal sound. The new stuff I've been writing has more acoustic melodies, mid-tempo sounding guitars played along with keyboards and piano. The Sorrows demo was recorded and released to the public January 2009.

2. How would you describe your sound to someone who has never heard you before?
It's definitely in the Black Metal genre. Sorrows uses acoustic throughout the songs to give it something extra and different than usual. The sound is very depressing as opposed to evil.

3. What is the meaning behind the band's name?
Basically what the name means, Sorrows. There's so many things in this world people go through everyday and I feel the need to write about it.

4. What was it that got you into black metal?
Years ago I was a Death Metal fanatic and discovered Black Metal due to the imagery I was seeing from bands such as Dark Throne, Mayhem and Marduk. I was curious to what they were writing about and why they choose the imagery they did. It was completely new to me and I loved the fast paced guitars and drums. I choose do to Sorrows in the vein of Black Metal
because I feel it is the only music to take you to another world and have a sound of sorrow.

5. Are there any plans to create a full line up?
As of right now, there are no plans in creating a full line up. Sorrows is a project that I need to do personally and maintain full control of the creativity. This is my outlet to getting things off my chest and to teach society a few things most people don't see on a daily basis.

6. What direction do you see the music going into during the future?
I picture the music sounding very erie and melodic as opposed to depressing and raw sounding. As far as the lyrical content goes, it's going to be more about whats going on in this world we live in and the struggles society goes through. There's only so much a person can say about their personal issues. After a while, it just gets repetitive. I personally feel thats what black metal is missing today, there aren't many bands speaking out about problems others face on a daily basis instead they're writing about their personal issues over and over again.. I hope to see Sorrows reach out to tons of people that share the same mentality and open a few close-minded eyes.

7. What are your main influences music wise or non music wise?

I'm more influenced by the things that I see around me and whats goes on in this world. Thats what is fueling the music and for me to continue writing. As far as musically, I would like to say Dark Throne is a a big influence and early Celtic Frost. I don't really listen to black metal to help me write, I just write whatever comes out naturally and those bands are the only thing I can say I sound similar to, riff wise anyway.

8. What are you listening to nowadays and what are some good bands or releases that you would recommend?
The past few years I haven't been too active with the Black Metal scene due to bands sounding very similar to each other. I listen to everything this world has to offer musically. I'm very open-minded when it comes to music. In fact, the majority of the music I listen to nowadays isn't along the lines of extreme metal. Some current bands that I do feel are worth checking out is Proxenus from Spain. They're a Dark Ambient band that takes you to another world while listening to their music. The Funeral Pyre from Southern California, that band has put in so much hard work and don't get the respect they deserve, the sound they evolved into is amazing, I expect great things from that band. I also recommend listening to music outside of metal for a change.

9. Does Satanism or Occultism play a role in the music?
Satanism or Occultism has no role in Sorrows music nor will it ever. There's been so many bands that followed that path and sound just like the next band, it's played out. I have more respect for a Black Metal band that's Christian than Satanic because I would rather see a band enter something and go against everything the music has stand for in the past than to see a band that portray themselves as a Satanic band that's just doing it for the image or to fit in with the rest.

10. Are there any good films or books that you would recommend?
I mainly watch Comedy movies to get my mind off things but some good Documentary's I have seen and strongy recommend are The Bridge, Grizzleman and American Hardcore. For books I recommend Strangers From A Different Shore by Ronald Takiki, The Hero of Skid Row by George Mitchell, and The Soloist by Steve Lopez. Check out these books and read about the less-fortunate people of our world. Some people have it worse then we do.

11. How would you compare the U.S black metal scene to other countries?
I feel the US Black Metal scene is growing in the amount of bands popping up but I don't see it being accepted as well as Europe has accepted it. Where I'm from, there aren't too many Black Metal shows that go on unless it's some huge tour going through and I don't live in a small town or small state for that matter. Promoters really don't care what the band stands for or has to offer, they're only concerned about the money that goes into their pockets. Europe will always be the leader of Black Metal, the United States re-creates the sound the Europeans have made many years ago.

12. Any final words?
I appreciated the interview and giving me a chance to speak my mind. This is the first interview I've done for Sorrows and I'm greatly thankful for the opportunity. Keep your eyes open for future releases. I have a split coming out soon with Proxenus and I'm currently writing for an ep entitled "...A Chorus for the Helpless."

13. Thanks for the interview?
Thank you, make sure to check Sorrows out on www.myspace.com/sorrowsden

1 comment:

  1. Very good interview. The Sorrows demo is a very high-quality release, and I look forward to see the direction that Vind goes musically.

    ReplyDelete