Monday, May 6, 2013

Iskalde Morket Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
Well Iskalde Morket is my solo black metal project! formed around 2010 when I started college. simply out of frustration of not being able to find like minds to play music with. in hindsight im glad I couldn't find any like minds. its much easier to make music on your own! Iskalde is essentially my negative feelings and emotions summed up in musical form. all my pain used for art! 

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
 All my dissent hurled into a murk of blastbeats and seething dissonance! 

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the music explores?
well my first couple of EP's were just horrible lyrics. in a good way! misanthropic to the max. dealing with starvation and slow decay of humans and just all my hate towards humanity in general. newest EP 'submerged from light' kinda diversified and I started singing about winter and drowning! the album im recording now is so much more personal, dealing with death in my family, people who have wronged me and strangely my girlfriend going in the navy of all things! so the songs mean a lot more to me lyrically now.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
well Iskalde Morket is Norwegian for Freezing Darkness. which is obviously a super cool name for a band! I felt it summed up what I was attempting to do musically! I got it from a Throne of Katarsis album called 'det iskalde morket'. a lil homage to a underated Norwegian band!

5. Currently there is only 1 member in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you choose to remain solo?
no. iskalde is very much my baby! i'll let no one tamper with it! I have another band I gig with to scratch the live itch! but i'd love to play in a live black metal band.....

6. Has the music received any label interest?
No! I don't think it will either. I don't have any connections!  id love some interest, wanna get more people listening to me!

7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Well ive had a couple of nice comments from bands from America! I guess them yanks get me! but most my compliments come from people I know who hate black metal that say yeah, what your doing is great john!

8. Are there any other musical projects besides this band or is this full time?
well all my best riffs go to iskalde! but yes I have another band. its the complete opposite to iskalde. its a comedy powerviolence band!
its just plain ol fun compared to the horrid noise I make with iskalde morket .

9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
well the new album im recording at the moment is in drop c! kinda diversifying. got punk riffs, thrash riffs, death metal bits and doomy bits! and lyrically its a beast! still oodles of black metal! it is majority black metal. longer songs too!

10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
well obviously black metal! but more modern stuff eg deathspell omega, leviathan and miserere luminis! still love some old bands ie darkthrone. id say im influenced by most of those bands. newer stuff im influenced by more bands like Carpathian forest. im listening to more sludge like eyehategod at the moment. really into Down too recently!

11. Does Occultism play any role in your music?
No not at all really. unless you count Charles manson as an occult leader? im influenced by his intelligence and view of the world! I just write about what I know about ie misanthropy, personal experiences. I havnt really experienced any occult or gotten in Satanism or witchcraft etc. so writing about it isn't honest. 
12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
In all honesty im a huge nerd! I play the shit out of pokemon and have a massive pokemon card collection! I dabble in warhammer! um I love lord of the rings! I luckily have a girlfriend to keep me hip! im 20 so I still go out a lot, I got a tight knit set of friends but at the same time I do like a lot time by myself. bit of a hermit too!

13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Well firstly thanks a lot for this opportunity to ramble about my 'music'! your a top bunch of folks and thanks! im currently at work on my debut album! so look out Norfolk! heres some links to my stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment