Astarium feels most powerfully at moment. Preparation of new material and work with records are going constantly. I do everything alone, unfortunately, this fact affects “tempo” of recording. I understand that time is playing not by my side and many musical ideas are remaining still unrealized. It lashes me to work on the project with the doubled force.
2. In the last year alone you have released an ep, 2 demo's and a single, how would you describe the musical sound of the newer material and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
Sound becomes better and better, because my "baggage of recording, mixing and mastering" is growing with each new release, like example of that can be my last EP “Nekrocosmo: Demiurge”. But I leave opportunity to make experiments for myself, so for example the demo of "Reverie" was recorded on a dictophone, with all that it implies. Also, at mixing of tracks from single "Chthonian Miasma" I used receptions new for myself.
3. In the earlier years while you still released a good amount of material it has not been as much as the last few years, do you feel you have gotten a lot more dedicated to creating music a lot more over the years?
Astarium is autobiographical project. Many events became decisive for me during some last years. Some of it already found, and some else will find a musical embodiment in future. I don't represent life without music, think, that it will lose meaning.
4. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with your newer music?
The lyrics remains invariable - mysticism, occultism and mights of the nature. However recently I began to pay more attention to cosmic themes.
5. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Astarium'?
In far 2005 I wanted to call my new project - Astaroth , but, having discovered abundance of groups with such name, I had to include imagination. So there was a name - Astarium. Music always comes to mind suddenly. It is senseless to sit and squeeze out something from mind, inspiration - is an unexpected muse. I think that it is something incomprehensible for human brains.
6. With this project you record everything by yourself, have you ever worked with any musicians on other projects?
In 2009 I have recorded vocal for some songs of dark-wave/ambient projects Ultimaratio and Solaris, also took guest part with clear voice for track of Die Entweihung "Sign of the Wolf". Before creation of Astarium I has played the role of guitarist and vocalist in some local bands (end of 90th - beginning of 2000). Now due to the lack of free time, I don't participate in any side projects and try to spend all forces for Astarium.
7. A couple of years back you had released a cassette where you did Satanic Warmaster, Burzum, Graveland and Evil covers, what was the decision behind during your own version of these tracks?
The idea about creation of this release became unexpected. Simply, I thought how many bands uses phrase “black metal” in the names of tracks… and idea to make minion with cover-versions was born. Tracks were not difficult for pick out and orchestral arrangements were born very easy (it, coming back, to a question about inspiration). I hope that listeners received as much pleasures from this material as I.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
First of all, I play for myself, and that someone else is listened my music, of course pleases me. I receive many messages from listeners from around the world. And it is cool! It is especially pleasant to know that there are people who collect different editions of Astarium’s stuffs.
9. When can we expect another full length album and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
New album will be out on CD to the end of spring in USA and Russia and will become continuation of the “Nekrocosmo” series, begun by last year's EP. Material will represent symphonic black metal, but with small slope to avant-garde. Tracks were created since 2002 till 2014. My plans are: not to recede from the classical black metal tendencies and to find more time and forces for works in ambient genre.
10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
About influences, I don't know what to say… May be ambient Ildjarn (!!!???). Last year I’ve listened some materials of Rostorchester, Grausamkeit and Hruodolf, I like this hordes. Also bands for ages are Burzum, Darkthrone, Abigor, Kataxu, Nokturnal Mortum, Graveland, Absurd, Eisenwinter.
11. How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?
I can call myself Satanist because my phylosophy is directly tied with my ego. I very respectfully refer to forces of nature. About occultism I can tell just one, that very high-powered preparation is needed for understanding essence of it. It is true, both from the point of view of knowledge, and from the moral point of view.
12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks for interesting questions! Keep your black flame with honor! Stay metal!
Best regards, SiN