Thursday, February 15, 2018

Veiled Interview

.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Veiled is a black metal band that I formed in 2015 after the demise of it’s predecessor, Gnosis of the Witch. I’d like to emphasize that this is not just a simple name change and that Veiled is an entirely separate entity. Musically the focus is heavily placed on creating a hypnotic and atmospheric vibe as opposed to a more visceral and aggressive approach.

2.In March you have your first full length come out, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the demo you had released in 2015?

Yes, our debut album coming out via Iron Bonehead Productions is called Black Celestial Orbs. I feel that the music on the album is a continuation of what was presented on the demo, just with a much more clearer and powerful production. Atmospheric, hypnotic and entrancing.  My bandmate Dimman provided an incredible drum performance and producer Heljarmadr did an incredible job in recording, mixing and mastering the album. He also played bass and provided a very dynamic sound to the low end of the album. I definitely feel that we were in complete unison while piecing this album together as a collective unit.

3. When you where known as 'Gnosis Of The Witch', most of your lyrics dealt with 'Dark Thursian Worship' which is a lot more different than the traditional Asaturu religion, can you tell us a little bit more on the role it played in your earlier music?

GOTW was more or less a musical vessel for the lyrical and spiritual concept of a LHP ideology called Thursatru. It drove the overall vibe and energy of the band more-so than the actual music did. GOTW was basically a sonic invocation of the darker aspect of Norse magic, and sadly the music suffered because of it. I am personally happy that GOTW no longer exists and that Veiled took it’s place.

4.You refer to your music as 'hypnotic black metal', can you tell us a little bit more about this term?

Just as the title says, the idea is to create hypnotic music that puts you into a trance. By utilizing repetition and specific frequencies when playing a riff over and over for a prolonged period of time, as a listener it causes you to become engulfed in the music. In a sense, Veiled creates meditation vibrations within the music.

5.The lyrics on the new album deal with 'Cosmic Mysticism', can you tell us a little bit more about your interest and involvement with this esoteric thought form?

Cosmic Mysticism is kind of a term I “made up” because I didn’t know how else to describe the lyrical content I write for Veiled’s music. I have later on seen this term before in other bands (Darkspace comes to mind) so I can’t claim to have invented it, but it certainly fits what I do. To me, Cosmic Mysticism paints the picture of what’s beyond the veil of our physical world. I very much think and work within a Left Hand Path mindset so while the music came simply come off as “space worship” there really is a deeper level of thinking behind everything if you choose to read between the lines.

6.Originally the band was known as 'Gnosis of The Witch', what was the cause of the name change and also the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Veiled'?

As mentioned above, GOTW needed to end because the lyrical content and the music just were not up to par where I am currently at in life and as a musician. It was too limiting and too constricting. I had to move on to something new, which is why I ended GOTW and formed Veiled. The name comes from what is called “the veil”. It is what we identify as the separation from the physical and the astral realms. The gray area between high and low. The primordial mist that rests between worlds.


7.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, would the band members be interested in adding in a 3rd or 4th member?

As of now, and for the foreseeable future, Veiled will remain as a duo on our records. Dimman and I work perfectly together and we want to keep what we have intact. Seeing as how Dimman and I live in separate countries, I have gathered together a group of excellent local musicians here in the local area to play live. Expect to see Veiled very soon.

8.Both of the band members live in different parts of the world, with one in Sweden and the United States, what kind of effect this does have on your musical style?

If anything it creates a stronger presence within our music because Dimman and I share a very similar philosophy when it comes to black metal. We are practically identical in our goals, drive and ambitions when it comes to writing and creating music for this band. Dimman brings that Scandinavian coldness and fluidity to his playing style and since my influences are mainly Swedish and Norwegian black metal bands it was a very easy fit for us to unify together.

9.According to the fb page the drummer is endorsed by Soultone Cymbals and Artbeat Drumsticks, can you tell us a little bit more about this endorsement?

Dimman: I like the quality around my kit. Soultone is a North American brand that produces handmade cymbals. They develop a unique sound with rare sizes that fits my purposes very well.
Artbeat is a company based in Germany that provides me with best possible sticks to my liking. They are crafted with a perfect combination of weight and balance and gives me a smooth feeling in my wrists while playing. I am very pleased to be able to work with them, they are very professional and these companies make sure that I have the best gear for my style of drumming.

10.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

We have gotten a lot of attention from around the world. Mainly of course from North America and Europe but also in other areas such as South America. Our music seems to be hitting a specific note with people who enjoy this style of music and we definitely hear from a lot of people about how much they enjoy what we do, so to everyone who has listened to and/or bought our music, thank you.

11.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

For right now, Veiled is going to focus on playing live for the time being. We want to play gigs, fests and eventually tour as much as possible to promote and spread the word about our debut album coming out in March. Of course, when the time is right Dimman and I will begin to write the sophomore release.

12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

For as long as I have been playing black metal, my influences have never changed. I will always be inspired by Bathory, Katatonia, Burzum and Darkthone. Those four bands in some what shape or form have inspired me on every level when I write music. As far as newer bands out now that I really enjoy, I have to show my respect to Grá, SEIÐ, Mystagos, Ifrinn, Uada, and Eosphoros. These guys are true masters of their craft and I believe that they all bring something unique to the scene. Support the true underground! BLOOD FIRE DEATH!

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


We are the remnants of the cosmic giants that burned eons ago. The pillars of creation let lose the primordial dust to build life within our bones. We are the sons and daughters of the gap that was fed fire and ice, for the poisonous rivers flows within our veins.


/Niðafjöll

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment