-We are a black metal band called Shadow's Mortuary located in Oulu (nothern Finland). We started the band with Ovda in 2013 and plan was to play straight-forward black metal with melancholic influence. Later we needed a guitarist and bassist to play our songs in live. Raum came to play guitar and Kaos for bass in 2017. Our first ep Kylmään Hautaan was released digitally in august 2015. First Full-lenght Tulen Valtakunta came out in november 2018 through label called Purity Through Fire.
2.Recently you have released your first full length album, what are some of the things the band had done different musically on this recording that you where not able to do on your previous ep's?
- In the EP, all songs were composed for two guitars at beginning when there was only Void and Ovda in the Band. At that time, we had no bigger future plans, just trying to make songs to see does it work at all. Vocals were recorded but never exactly performed in rehearsals example. When we gathered the rest of the band and started rehearsals Void noticed that He could'nt get the right feeling on vocals. The energy was missing what Void was looking for, so He decided to choose a different vocal style to make it happen. Guitars was re-arranged for single guitar and vocal style has changed so much that there was major change in sound comparing the Ep and full-length sound.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores on the new release?
- In Tulen Valtakunta album lyrics are dealing with darkness, insanity of humankind, anti-religious themes and hatred mainly.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Shadow's Mortuary'?
-Shadow's Mortuary name is about dark sides of a humankind that lies deep in subconsciousness. The name is inspired by the ”Shadow archetype” coined by Carl Jung.
5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented
on the new album cover?
-Tulen Valtakunta album artwork symbolizes the name of the album which means in english "Realm of Fire". Candles on fire, fire which is one of the very powerful elements that exist in our universe.
6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
-We haven't played live yet but I can promise that our stage performance will be aggressive and atmospheric.
7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
- There is two confirmed shows coming at this point in Finland. One in december 2018 @Tukikohta, Oulu and second in february 2019 @Ilokivi, Jyvöskylä.
8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your newer music by fans of black metal?
- Feedback has been mainly great around the world. It has been great to see that the finnish language is not a problem for the fans to enjoy our music.
9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
- Basic elements that makes our sound will be in place at future also but of course there will be development in us as musicians all the time. We are currently working with new songs for second full-lenght album and if everything will go as planned the album will see the daylight in 2019.
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an
influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
- Black metal and Dark ambient are the main musical genres that our main composer Void listens to daily. Some example bands Void prefers Gorgoroth, Horna, Cosmic Church and Ajattara from black metal; from dark ambient there will be Raison d'être and The Haxan Cloak.
11.How would you describe your views on Satanism and Occultism?
- I have been reading quite a lot of satanic and occult literature in past years.these are very fascinating topics to read.
12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or
- Check out our debut album and if you like it or not give us a feedback and come to see our shows.
Best Regards: Void/Shadow's Mortuary