Monday, October 19, 2020

Skorbvster Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


I primarily play in another band and Skorbvstr was a solo concept album I conceived. I wanted to create something without mine or my band's name attached to it and put it out into the world just to see what would happen. I wrote and recorded the entire thing over a weekend, most of it in one night. 

It's a raw as I could make it. 


2.In November you have an ep coming out, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?


I wanted to capture all of the feelings this insane year has brought upon the world. Cold. Raw emotion. Tension. Isolation. Despair. Monotony. Darkness. Uncertainty. Sickness. The cold and raw emotion comes through pretty clearly in the overall sound. The isolation is represented in the solo environment it was recorded in. The monotony is represented by every song being structured the exact same. Each song starts out with the same tension before either going fast and then slow, or slow and then fast. It all needed a very powerful sound to translate the weight we have all felt this year.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


Basically everything I stated above. A great mix of everything dark, raw, and heavy. 

 

4.You also translate the song titles into Norwegian, what was the decision behind using this language?


I wanted everything to have an authentic coldness to it. So I took descriptions that had a powerful sound to them and translated them to the mother tongue of second wave black metal. Most things are in English these days and you have an idea of the songs intentions and lyrics before you even hear it just by looking at the titles. I didn't want that. I wanted mystery. I wanted mood. I wanted the listener to decide for themselves.


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Skorbvster'?


It's an inside phrase among my circle that basically means breaking down the norms. Trying to topple the established prize at the end of everything and achieve something different. Busting the score.  


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?


The artwork is a picture I took in the Netherlands earlier this year. It's taken from the middle of a bridge and you can see the river at the bottom in the middle. 


7.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


This is going to remain a solo outlet since I have a band already. The band works together when creating but I wanted something with total control. It can be a mixture of anything I want. Fast, slow, mid paced, powerful, raw, melodic, whatever the song calls for. As experimental as I'm feeling.


8.The physical version is coming out on 'Snow Wolf Records', how did you get in contact with this label?


I'm in Kentucky and that label is based here so it made sense. I reached out to some others and didn't have any luck. I wanted everything to be completely DIY with the packaging and not many labels would go for something like that. 


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


The jury is still out on that one. This is the first release. Hoping people will see something different in it and give it a unique rating or description. I look forward to a new reaction than what I've gotten with other projects, be it better or worse. 


10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I will keep playing with my band and keep Skorbvstr as a solo project for when I come up with other ideas for concept albums. I hope to eventually achieve something different. Bust the score, so to speak.   


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I tend to mostly listen to the classics with black metal but I also listen to a lot of other genres. Whatever is a good mix of mood and melody. 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thank you for doing this and giving positive support to the black metal underground. People can count on you for consistent reviews that encourage readers to seek out the music and the specific things about it that you recommend and find enjoyable. Skorbvstr is an artistic and conceptual project that I hope your readers will take a chance on. 


https://skorbvstr.bandcamp.com/releases

No comments:

Post a Comment