Friday, April 12, 2024

Dark Affliction Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?



1. The project started as a COVID-inspired endeavor, since I had much time on my hands during the lockdown and I always wanted to experiment with composition.


2.In May you have your first full length coming out, musically how does it differ from your previous ep?


2. Aside from the difference in production quality, since the EP had a more raw approach, this album has a more eclectic feel composition-wise.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?



3. Even though the lyrics were darker and more esoteric at the beginning, leading up to this present album, there was experimentation to a physiological extent, while preserving the dark tone.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Dark Affliction'?


4. This is simpler than it looks. Since I've always liked the word "affliction," adding the adjective "dark" upfront was the most suitable word combination to reflect my music.


5.Can you tell us a little bit about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?



5. The idea behind the artwork was born as I was scrolling through random paintings and came across a female face cut into different parts. For me, it was crucial to create something unique as a cover. I was a huge fan of Khaos Diktator's design work, so I thought he was the perfect artist for this. Basically, it's a depiction of a female face splitting into five parts, with each part representing one stage of grief. Meanwhile, the neck decomposes, symbolizing the passage from life to death. 


6.With the exception of session musicians, you work mostly as a solo artist, are you open to expanding into a full line up?


6. As of now, given my inspiration, the main goal is to release as much music as I can. Not only for my main project, "Dark Affliction," but also for other projects that I'm working on right now. Although I'm open to expanding into a full lineup in the future.


7.On the new album you also have some session musicians, can you tell us a little bit more about who they are and their contributions to the recording?


7. First off, Eleni Nota was again a huge contributor to the recording of the drums, as we also worked on my previous EP. I assume most of you know her for her previous work. She has a high level of professionalism and performed greatly. Nikos Mavridis, who played the violin, was the perfect match to precisely record what I asked him to. As far as female vocals go, I heard Anastasia's vocals through a local band, and I thought they would work out perfectly, as they did. Lastly, behind the piano was Sakis Bastas, who also contributed to the recording and mixing process of the album.


8.On the ep you also did a ''Rotting Christ' cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?


8. Rotting Christ is one of my most influential bands, and I always wanted to do a cover song from them. I chose 'Visions of the Dead Lovers' not only because it is one of my favorite tracks but also because I think it matches the aesthetic of the EP.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


9. Regarding the EP, I've received some encouraging reviews from the underground black metal scene. As far as the full-length album goes, I think it's too early to talk about it since only one song has been released.



10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


10. My main priority as of now is to improve the quality of my music both compositionally and in terms of production.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on  your music nd also what are you listening to nowadays?


11. The musical style that influenced me to follow this direction started from 80s heavy metal, leading to more extreme music, especially black metal, which is the current stage of the project. Nowadays, I am more into Post-Black/Blackgaze and even Shoegaze stuff.


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


12. Just keep creating music. Thanks a lot for the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment