Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Rimthurs Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new ep?

The Ödemark cassette was recorded quite some while ago, so I've had it lying around for several years before Fila Sophiae picked it up. During the time between the recording and the release I also recorded a new full length album which will be released march 18 by German label Ketzer records.

2.In November you had released a new ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

The biggest difference is that two of the songs are purely acoustic and are very "folky" in sound. A friend plays key harp, a very old swedish folk instrument. I'm very satisfied with the result, as it still sounds very much like Rimthurs. Two songs are more regular black metal, but still with a very big influence from folk music.

Also, I did not write the lyrics for the three title songs, it's a poem by an old swedish poet named Ejnar Smith. The fourth song is an acoustic version of the song Köld from the Ur:Kaos Ep.

3.This is your first release since 2010, can you tell us a little bit more about what was going on during that time span?

I always take my time with Rimthurs, as I do everything myself. I also don't want to rush it, I want everything do be as good as possible before recording and releasing. I wrote and recorded both the Ep and the new fullength during this time.

4.Your lyrics cover Nordic Mythology and Paganism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this subject?

It ́s natural for me as being from Scandinavia to use the old nordic religion as base for my lyrics and concepts. I have always been interested in the old sagas. There is a completely different way of perceiving death that I like and identify with, it's more a natural part of existence and nothing to fear.

For me it's completely out of the question to use the abrahamitic mythology as inspiration for Rimthurs, as it has no part here in the cold north. No matter what name the prophet or god is called, he should be erased from the memory of mankind.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Rimthurs'?

Rimthurs literally translates into Frost Giant. I think it fits good with the overall concept of death and misanthropy, as they are the enemies of life and this world. One thing I really like with the nordic mythology is that there is no clear borders between what's "good" or "evil". Even the gods have their dark sides and Odin often seeks wisdom from the Giant races.

6.With the exception of a bass player you record everything by yourself, do you prefer working solo than working with a full band?

It both has it's advantages. It's easy to loose track of what you're doing when doing everything yourself, it can always be good to have some other input in what you're doing. The good thing is that you don't have to compromise because there are other wills involved. And as Rimthurs is a very personal part of me, it wouldn't be possible to have anyone else meddling with the songwriting or lyrics.

I'm lucky to know people with the right mindset who can help out with mixing, mastering and layout though, as my knowledge in some of these parts are somewhat limited.

7.The ep was released on cassette by 'Fila Sophae', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

I have had contact with the guy behind it for several years, he's been a fan of Rimthurs since a long time back. He started this label just last year, so the Ödemark cassette was one of the very first releases on this label. Everything's been going well with him despite him being totally new to this label thing. I also like the small scale he's working in, very limited editions.

8.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?

Planet Rain has had a pause for a couple of years, but is up and running again. We're rehearsing some new songs. We play progressive, melodic death with lyrics inspired by Lovecraft, philosophy and existence.

I started playing drums with black metal band Patronymicon a while back, we're about to book studio to record a third album. Fast, scandinavian black metal.

I also just started playing drums with cult band Sorcery, old school death with their roots in the eighties. At the moment I'm learning their songs and then we'll also be starting to put together another album.

Other than that, I'm working on a four track ep with a project called Blodsed. Also a one man project that I've been doing when not occupied with anything else.

9.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

Overall I've got really good feedback. But as I take several years between releases I think people tend to forget about Rimthurs in between. I did send a cassette to a guy in the U.S. though, so it's spreading I think.

10.When can we expect a hull length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?

As I said earlier, the new full length titled Gravskrift will be released on march 18 by Ketzer records. It's dark and melodic with some folk influences, I'd say it's a pretty natural progression since Svartnar. I also have written two songs for another cassette, I'll try to record it before or during this summer. I will probably keep working with that concept, making an Ep of some kind in between every full length. These Ep's will be a bit more experimental one way or another.

The new stuff I've been working on lately for a new album is sounding a bit more aggressive, but usually it never ends up the way I thought. It's a very organic process for me to write music for Rimthurs, I just channel what comes to me and see where it takes me.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I listen to a lot of 70's music, like Hawkwind and Captain Beyond. I don't know how much impact that kind of music has on my writing, nothing overly obvious at least. At the moment I'm also slightly obsessed with Wardruna, the new album is amazing as always. Other than that, swedish folk music and black metal mostly.
But mostly my influences comes from things I read or experience one way or another.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Photography has been an interest for me for a long time. That's the biggest interest beside the music. I read a lot, both fiction and non-fiction. I also like hiking and being out in the nature.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview. Look up the Ödemark cassette and the upcoming album Gravskrift!
Hail the old powers, Hail Death!

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment