Monday, August 26, 2013

Twilight Fauna Interview


1.Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?
Twilight Fauna is an atmospheric metal project from the Appalachian mountains. I am the sole musician. I do all recording, mixing, and mastering as well.
2.How would you describe your musical sound?
At first I called myself black metal but found that label came with all these rules about what I should or shouldn't do so I stopped calling it black metal and decided to call it atmospheric metal.This allows me more room to experiment which makes things more exciting. You never really know what the next release will sound like, and most of the time I don't either. I include acoustic sections and clean vocals right along with shrieking and distorted guitars. What ever fits the song.
3. Can you tell us a little bit more about the thoughts and ides that you put in your song lyrics?
My songs are predominately about the people and nature of the Appalachian mountains. There are so many regional variations of metal, I wanted to apply that sound to my homeland because there is a rich culture and ecosystem here. Something I also try to do is to paint a full picture of what life is like in the mountains. I try to show the ugly along with the beautiful. Above all, I want the music to be honest. I think a lot of extreme metal bands aren't honest in their songwriting because they try to fit into a mold, like writing satanic songs when they aren't Satanic. Music that isn't honest is the same a lying to fans. For that reason, I write about my own experiences and my homeland. Good or bad, my music is above all else genuine to who I am. Grief is a good example of that. I'm not ready to talk about it really but that album is brutally honest.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the projects name?
Twilight has always been considered a magical time. A time when old spirits roam, when animals come out before dusk. It's also my favorite time to be in the mountains. Fauna means the animals of a specific time or place. The literal meaning of the band name is animal of Twilight.
5.Currently there is only 1 member involved with the project and also you have put out alot of releases in the last year, do you feel being solos gives you more time to create and write music?
I'm not the most talented musician out there, but I am a constant worker.The reason I'm able to record so much is because I don't play live. After I record a song, I never have to play it again if I don't want to so when a lot of other bands are spending their time replaying the same songs in preparation for a live performance, I can spend that time creating new music which is what I really enjoy. I don't think I could go up on stage and play the same song a hundred times. After awhile it would become monotonous to me so I focus all my energy on bringing new sounds into the world. Being a one man project means there are no compromises in my music. It is 100% me which makes for a more personal musical experience.
6.Recently you have put out splits with Filsufatia and Crown Of Asteria, what are your thoughts on the other groups that participated?
I only work with people I respect. Filsufatia has been doing his thing for years. He creates some of the most beautiful atmospheric metal I've ever heard so I knew I had to work with him. Lucky for me, he was also a fan of Twilight Fauna so it worked out.The cassette for that split should be out on Spectrelight Recordings by the end of the year.
Crown of Asteria impressed the hell out of me with their first demo. It's raw sounding in places (which is a good thing) and I realized there is a huge amount of potential with the project so I asked Meghan if she would like to work together and she agreed. This is definitely a project to keep your eye on. I love the artists behind both groups. They're part of my musical family.
7.You have released some music on cassette, do you prefer the old analog sound over digital?
It really depends on the release. I just heard Sylvan Screams Analog's cassette release of my first album The Silence of a Blackening Abyss and it was the best I've heard that album sound. I felt the same way about Grief. The slight distortion in the analog sound adds another texture to the sound which I appreciate. Although, I record in as high quality as possible so for those looking for clarity, I always provide a digital download as well. I try to give people as many choices as possible because these days every has a preferred format.
8.The project is located in The Appalachian Mountains, how much does the nature and climate in that area contribute to your music?
If not for Appalachia, Twilight Fauna would not exist. It is a musical extension of me being a child of Appalachia.
9. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
The feedback I get from fans all over the world has been stunning especially since I write about regional themes. I think I have more interest on a worldwide level than I do in my own area. There have been some detractors as well.I've gotten my share of hate mail, but overall the sheer magnitude of support has been overwhelming. Those fans are the only reason Twilight Fauna continues to grow today.
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I want the distorted sections to be more brutal and the acoustic sections to be more beautiful. The dichotomy between those two sounds I really where I thrive. I already have an album finished called Hymns of a Forgotten Homeland that is the best thing I've ever done. It is 100% Appalachia which will be out early next year.
11.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I absorb a little of everything I listen to but the main two inspirations for the project are Drudkh and the Ruins of Beverast. I wanted to take the idea that Drudkh did with having a cultural/regional sound and apply it to the Appalachian region because that story needs to be told. The Ruins of Beverast has an experimental aspect where there are no limitations to the sound that I really respect.
Personally I listen to a lot of different artists from all over the world. As long as the music contains honesty and emotion, I can respect it. A few of the bands I've been listening to a lot recently are Wild's Reprisal, When Woods make Graves, Panopticon, Munly and the Lee Lewis Harlots, Deafest, and Townes Van Zandt.
12.Does Paganism play any role in the music?
It doesn't. Personally I'm an atheist but you will hear some nature themes in my music that might embody the spirit of some Pagan beliefs. The religious references you hear in Twilight Fauna are because the people of Appalachia are very religious and some of the lyrics reflect their perspective of the world.
13.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Anything that gets me into the mountains. I do a lot of camping and hiking. I've been know to drop all other obligations and disappear into the mountains at times. I'm also an avid movie watcher and I read a lot as well.
14.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thank you for taking time to do this interview and thank you to all the fans that have helped Twilight Fauna along the way. The project continues to grown because people like you continue to support independent music. Stay in touch because big things are coming. No Regrets, No Remorse -Ravenwood

Bandcamp
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment