Monday, August 5, 2013

Dweller In The Valley Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
Dweller in the Valley actually started out as a Death Metal band called The Grinning March of Death. After our guitar player quit the band Nate and I decided to take things in a new direction. We met up with Mike and he was a perfect fit. We all got energized and started writing new material. We had decided to go in a new direction writing Blackened Death Metal. We changed our name to Samsara before finally settling on Dweller in the Valley.
Here's a link to some early footage when we were beginning the writing process.
2. For those that have yet to hear the music, how would you describe your musical sound?
For those that haven't heard us we're a Blackened Death Metal band with leanings toward the raw and atmospheric. We have a wide array of influences but I think our approach is comparable to bands like Ash Borer, Fell Voices, Vattnet Viskar, Genocide Shrines, Necrowretch and the like.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Lyrics are a huge challenge for me actually. When I set out with this band I wanted it to be a very personal project. Because of this the lyrics of Dweller tend to focus on my own personal struggles be they physical, emotional, or spiritual.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
I would actually prefer not to reveal too much about the band's name and how it came to be. I think if people listen to the music they can come to their own conclusions about it.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
We have had several really great shows and a couple stick out in my mind. Our very first show was with Vestiges, Wiretap, and Caust at a house in Northern Virginia. I was really nervous about how we would be received but the show ended up being an absolute blast. The crowd was really supportive and I was happy with our set.
We recently played a huge show in Baltimore at the side bar for my buddy Hasan's 25th Birthday. This show was really epic for us! We got to play with Horrendous and I'm a huge fan! They were a big influence on me and Mike when we were writing the initial material for Dweller. Ilsa, Satan's Satyrs, Nothing, Multicult and a Celtic Frost cover band played and it was just an absolutely amazing time. We had a warm reception and I couldn't have been happier with it.
It's hard for me to describe exactly what our shows are like. I'd say contemplative but I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. I tend to focus on atmosphere above all else. Playing live is always an ordeal for me personally. The drums are extremely physically demanding and the content is emotionally draining. That being said it is always a cathartic experience and even though I'm exhausted I always come out of a show feeling better for having played it.
6. Do you have any shows lined up for the future?
We have lots of shows coming up. This weekend in fact we will be playing a black metal show in Frederick MD with two absolutely crushing bands. Sloth Herder and Dispellment will be joining us for a night of Black Metal.
After that we are going back to Blood Basement studio to finish recording our EP.
7. Currently you are unsigned, have you received any label interest or are you looking for a label?
We've had talks with a couple of labels but we aren't in any rush. We want to put out the type of music that we like to make and on our own terms.
We are looking forward to releasing our Demo on Cassette through Black Mess Records in Baltimore very soon. They're a great label and they're doing exciting things in Baltimore.
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black, doom and death metal?
So far we've gotten a ton of great feedback! The people who get us have been greatly supportive. We've gotten a lot of positive support from Europe and elsewhere around the world. We've gotten a lot of support locally as well. I really couldn't be happier with how we've been received.
9. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I'm not sure to be honest. The approach that we tend to take when we write is very collaborative. If it doesn't give us goosebumps we don't use it. So we don't really set out with anything in mind other than a general direction. For the music on the demo we set out to create an atmosphere and that was at the forefront of the writing process. After that we just crafted the songs until they gave us the feeling that we hit our mark.
I feel that we will continue with that approach and let the music evolve on its own.
10. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Oh man, what a tough question! Everyone in the band has their own musical influences. We are all fans of classic Death Metal and Black Metal. We're all huge At the Gates fans and that has certainly factored in to our music. Cannibal corpse has always been a staple for us as well. We don't really shoot for those sounds really but that music has been hugely influential on each of us as musicians.
These days I've been listening to a ton of Blood of the Moon from New Zealand. If you ask me their demo "MMXII" is absolutely perfect. I still spin a ton of Ash Borer and Fell Voices, as well as early Burzum, Dark Throne, and Immortal. Lately I've also been listening to a good deal of Cough and Mutilation Rites. Truthfully I could go on forever. I listen to music all day long every day.
11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
Outside of Music I love camping, shooting, gardening, mountain biking, and playing video games.
I've always got some project or another going on. I'm also in a Psychedelic/Shoegaze musical project called The Medium. I've also been in talks with Funerary Descent about collaborating on some Recordings.
12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
I'd like to thank everyone who has taken an interest in us, helped us book a show, or played with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment