Friday, August 30, 2013

RavenFrost 2013 Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the project since 2010?
A lot has happened since then. I have been improving my little studio more and more. I bought a new bass and switched to other software. Also, Ravenfrost developed from Depressive Black Metal to a mix of DSBM and Doom. The strings are tuned down to hell on the future stuff.

2.You have a new album coming out in 2014 can you tell us a little bit more about it and how you feel you have evolved as  a  musician with the new recording?
I'm very proud of the new record because it cost a lot of time and passion to make it. As usual, I did everything from writing to recording. I had the pleasure to meet some inspiring people and I was able to really find my own style which I have been trying since the beginning in 2006. 
So this is the first full-length album and a milestone for Ravenfrost!

3.The new album has all lyrics in English this time around, what was the decision behind using this language instead of German on all off the newer songs which was used on some  of the older material and also do you have any plans on writing in your native tongue again in the future?
The decision to only write lyrics in English just happened. I did not really plan it or even think about it. It's just what suits the music best in the moment. Maybe I will change that in the future, maybe not. I have considered writing "Einsamkeit II" as a sequel to "Einsamkeit" from the 2009 demo. We will see on the next album.

4.Can you tell us a little bit more about what the song lyrics cover this time around?
"Agonies Of The Past" sums up the concept of the album. I really had a hard time in 2011 because of some very stressful stuff that happened. I had the feeling that I could not live up to my own ambitions and I was totally broke, which ended up in kind of a burn out situation that gave me hell for a few months. So...what I was trying is to turn that into something positive and gain inspiration from it. I always thought that depressive music is the best way to cope with pain and despair. Not to give up but to get over it and move on. And that's what I did. The whole lyrics are centered around the feeling that you get when you're really desperate. Like you're standing on the edge of a cliff and there is no way out.

5.A few years back you did a split with Vintage Flesh, what where your thoughts on the other band that participated?
I still like that split a lot. I had been a fan of those guys and their creepy strange mixture of black metal, doom and horror themes. I also really like the vocals that Ray did for "Vizards To Our Hearts". We are still in contact and Ray from Vintage Flesh (he has a new band called Inverticrux now) did the cover artwork for this album.

6.I noticed that for a while you where using a drummer while doing all off the other musical instruments how did that work out and also are you still using a drummer?
It worked out pretty bad. One of the reasons for creating a one man project is that I did not want to be forced to rely on other people. The whole process of creating the drums went very very slow until I just decided to do everything myself. I'm not working with a drummer at the moment. Maybe I will, if I find someone who is really dedicated.

7.The new album is coming out on Tridoid Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label and how they compare with the other labels you have worked with?
Tridroid Records is a U.S.-based label. So far, it was really nice working with them. I had the chance to have a track on their black metal compilation. After that I asked if they would do a vinly release of the album and they agreed which is a great chance for Ravenfrost. I'm really excited to get my hands on a vinyl version of the album.
I have made a lot of good experiences with labels. Like Victory By Fire, Pest Records, Runenstein Records and lots of others. No rip offs or assholes so far, let's hope that it will stay this way.

8.I remember a few years back you said you have some other musical projects, are they still going on these days?
Unfortunately, Megaera does not exist anymore. But I'm doing bass and vocals in a death metal band called Vintundra. We recorded our first album last fall and I'm really proud of it too. It's death metal mixed with some very interesting elements like oriental parts, acoustics and female vocals.

9.What kind of reaction they you feel you will get once the album hits the stores in 2014?
I think the album will be received very well. I've been getting a lot of positive response from musicians and labels. The only thing that's still unclear is who will do the CD-release in Europe but that will turn out pretty soon.

10.Thanks for your time, any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Thanks a lot for the interview and review. Check out Tridroid Record's black metal compilation, Inverticrux and Vintundra. And try to get your hands on a copy of "Agonies Of The Past", vinyl, tape or cd.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Myspace
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment