Friday, August 30, 2013

Augrimmer Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
We rehearse the songs for our upcoming record. I think that is all.
2.How would you describe the musical sound of the newer music and how it differs from previous releases?
Hard to say since Nothing Ever Was is a very special record which only partly shows our future direction. When you check our previous releases you will realize, that they differ from each other pretty much. Sometimes by mistake and sometimes by purpose. Autumnal Heavens is very obscure and moisty while From the Lone Winters Cold is very archaically basic 90s Black Metal. Nothing Ever Was opened the spectrum in different directions. Though we are still lucky with it it is maybe too much different stuff in one record, so it might be bewildering at certain points. Though it has some dark spires like Coffin Host or the Voice to name some. I would call that record more desolate.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the newer music explores?
There are two kinds of lyrics. In the more transparent ones (like f.e. Coffin Host) I utilize certain dark issues to metaphorically transport messages important to me. But the most lyrics are from the second kind and they rather evolve spontaneusly from my subconscious. I use to structurize them afterwards to make the meaning I read into them more clear. But they use to remain abstract and sometimes I can learn from them since they bring me nearer to that part of myself not directly accessable to me.
4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
It is the name of the north wind in a certain fantasy cosmos. It did fit my vision of our music in the beginning but from todays perspective I would not use the name again since it is limiting to me. But who cares...
5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
We have never put a focus on playing much gigs and I don't want to score our performance in any way.
6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
No. There are no shows planned and we will see when we will play live next time. Our focus right now is on our new record.
7.Recently you put out a split with Grave Desecrator, what are your thoughts on the other band that participated?
Grave Desecrator are a great band driven by great people. They keep the quintessence of what we know as the typical south american extreme metal alive.
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
We are a band that seems to be quite overlooked. The reasons may be many. But when we get contacted by metal fans it appears they come from very different countries. The only feedback we get is very positive but one doesn't usually contact bands when he thinks they are shit, right? So we don't have a clue if people don't know us or don't like us, haha
9.What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
I have pretty much stuff already worked out and right now it seems to me that we broaden our style and are more rooted on our basis same time. But since I want to chose the songs for a record a way that they share a similar feeling and complex of themes it might appear that records will differ in atmosphere. The next record for example will be very dark and sad. And I don't mean gothic, right?
10.What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
As we began the most significant influences came from norwegian Black Metal. Later it got complemented by stuff like Bathory, Masters Hammer, Rotting Christ, Mercyful Fate and so on.
Personally I use to listen to a very broad spectrum of music. My main passion goes for NWoBHM and Black Metal. Celtic Frost, Bathory and Iron Maiden are maybe my favorite bands. But I love some Wave stuff too or 70s Prog. And don't forget old (Hard) Rock like Blue Oyster Cult or Thin Lizzy. But it has to be at least melancholic or preferably dark. Since music is felt quite subjective that feelings can be found at places you would never expect them.
11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?
It does. But in fact it depends on the interpretation of the word occult. To me it exceedes the spiritual, mythic, transcendental whatever thing. Basically the word means „hidden“ and subsumes everything not directly tangible. That might be things magical or things subconscious and thus physical. The seperation of both is not always easy. People might mistaken magic things as experiencing the subconscious and the other way around. I am mainly interested in the differencies and the similarities of both. I thought I was more progressed on this issue when I was young, but now I feel to be starting on it over again. Exploring the occult seems a life task to me. Who tells you he knows the „truth“ about it is naive, an idiot or a lier.
12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
...
13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

No comments:

Post a Comment