Hello, here’s Necrogrim talking. THE SOMBERLAIN is a black metal band with black metal attitude. So don’t expect a bored extreme metal band. We’re from the cold and rainy Galicia, northwest region from Spain. At the moment we’ve released a LP called ANCIENT SATANIC CULT and a split EP with HELDE. This last release will have a CD edition through COLD RAWRECORDS from UK.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
It could be described as old school black metal. We play what we feel, without intentions of sounding similar to other bands. We make old punk music but faster and darker. Anyway,that’s simply what black metal is: dark fast punk!!
3. The lyrical topics cover a lot of Satanism and Occult themes; can you tell us a little bit more about your views on these topics?
Occultism is part of our lives. In our Galician culture we’re surrounded of a thousand myths and legends regarding occultism. Witchery is part of our lives, so it’s very easy to make lyrics about it. We’ve grown up with it. Religions have a bunch of weird ideas, but they fear Satan. Not as demon, but the antithesis to
their ideas. So that’s why we’re into Satanism, we’re that antithesis. Our purest hate goes to religions and this stupid human race that feed them.
4. According to the Metal Archives and Facebook pages the band started in 1997 but waited tell 2010 to release the first recording, what was the cause of the long delay?
I’ve started the band in 1997; I think it was my first extreme metal band. After some months rehearsing the other members left the band and it remained as a personal project. I’ve been into other projects all these years but always waiting for the right members for the band. It was as easy as talking with Arkham and Éride to make reborn the band. We change the band name, I took back my old compositions and we recorded ANCIENT SATANIC CULT.
5. When can we expect another release and what musical direction well it be in?
We’ve already got some songs recorded and waiting to be released. It’s similar to our music in ANCIENT SATANIC CULT or the split with HELDE. But at the same time it sounds more old school than the previous material. From my point of view, the new songs are much better: pure fucking black metal. So we’re looking for a proposal to release these songs. A split with other band would be great for us.
6. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
All shows are different. I enjoyed the last one we did in Madrid at Black Congregation Fest. It was a black metal show for black metal fans. Our performance is full of mysticism; you can feel it in the atmosphere…
7. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
We’re always thinking about touring, we did it several times in the past. But it’s hard for us because of our jobs and other projects we’re in. Arkham is busy with his other bands NASHGUL and HONGO and I’m busy with WARPIG AGENCY, an agency of booking and promotion. THE SOMBERLAIN will make some shows, festivals, etc... And of course we will make a tour in the future if we can find the time for it!
8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
We are sharing pure music with the black metal community and the feedback is being great. Curiously it’s not only from the black metal fans but the punk crust people. They enjoy our music because it’s straight and with attitude.
9. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the bands name?
As everyone knows it’s just the name of a DISSECTION’s album. But also it’s the dark path we want to ride. Our deepest respect to DISSECTION music and legacy.
10. Are there any other musical projects going on these days?
Arkham is playing drums in the grindcore band NASHGUL and doom crust band HONGO.
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I think our music is influenced by a lot of styles, but we make black metal because it’s what we feel. I love a good bunch of styles but when I start composing a riff, it’s fucking black metal. I love from hard rock to electro dark. Right now while I’m replying the interview I’m listening to AGONOIZE, so you can imagine we’re open minded regarding music.
12. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
I can speak by myself. I love reading, horror movies, bikes, sex and beer. So the fine art of being a bastard!
13. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview
Thank you very much for the interview. Occult Black Metal Zine is keeping the black flame alive. All our support goes to your zine.