Sunday, June 4, 2017

Deathwinter Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1: Scorn Wraith::: I started the band in 2007 when I was traveling Australia and had settled in a small town in the West of the country for a while...at that point Deathwinter had a full lineup of members, I was the song writer and the one that formed the band and it's concepts!!! Late 2008 Dw recorded a 3 track demo in titled Cold Black Eternity and we were very close to doing our first performance, then because of circumstances two of the members moved interstate and I couldn't find anyone to replace them...So the original Dw did not do a show and the demo was not released at that time!!! After that I moved from the small town to a major city near by and started working on more material with another guitarist and we found a session drummer to do some basic recordings with us that were the foundations for the sound Dw has now!!! The session drummer Mealstrom has recorded the drum tracks on all the current Dw material...At that time I decided to keep traveling and put Dw to rest as it had not worked out the way I had planned!!! Years later I finally returned back to my home area that is a very small country town with virtually no metal let alone Black Metal...A close brother of mine that I had met whilst I was moving around the country and had the honour of jamming with for a while, main man from devilish Aussie BM band Sanguinary Misanthropia/Sinister Essence Records encouraged me to keep going with Dw and bring it back from the dead with hellfires blazing...Even tho I couldn't find members in my area to perform live with or be part of a serious recording act...Now I was ready to immerse myself fully and commit to the Devils will and bring this beast to life!!! So I started jamming with a couple drummers that weren't into BM and did some rehearsal demos with them,this fueled the black flames within...That's when I new I had to ask session drummer Maelstrom if he would be able to help make this a reality!!!

2.So far you have released a full length and a split, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
2:Scorn Wraith:::Up to this point in time I have only released two releases in physical form...Before that early 2016 I released Dw's 1st demo Cold Black Eternity in digital format through Aussie label Sinister Essence Records and a bunch of shitty rehearsal demos,then later in 2016 Dw's raw demo ep Manifestations Of Death also in digital form!!!The split with Colombian 1 man BM act Perventor was the 1st CD release Dw had done!!! Then M.O.D was released on CD through Ukraine label Depresive Illusions Records!!! I would describe the sound on the M.O.D recordings and the early demo as raw and unforgiving...Devilish and dark, mainly a traditional BM sound with a hint of Death Metal...

3.Your lyrics deal a lot with Satanic and Luciferian topics, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the black arts?
3:Scorn Wraith:::My interest in the Occult,Satanic/Luciferian beliefs and dark Paganism started when I was around 12 and was seriously getting into Metal...As most young people are searching for who they are and what they believe in the bands that I listened to back then were involving these topics and beliefs in there lyrical/musical themes!!! This helped lead me on a path of discovery and Diabolic evolution, I started to search for knowledge and understanding of these mysteries to experience Darkness and Khaos in the physical and spiritual realms, this bought me closer to eternal fires of the Devil and his Infernal will...that's when the black abyss that I had felt around me from a very young age began to open up and make sense couldn't close my eyes now they were open!!! Thus the inspiration behind Dw is the Devil,Death and Chaos as I feel all is the meaning of our existence on this earth!!!

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Deathwinter'?
4:Scorn Wraith::: Death and Winter was the original name for the band...Death as a symbol for the end of life and Winter representing the ever present lurking shadow of Death...I wanted the name to embody these elements and to mean something much more apocalyptic, I then made it one word that would be as a universal cataclysmic storm...Deathwinter!!!

5.Currently there is only one member in the band, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
5:Scorn Wraith::: I would say that no matter what happens in the future as regards to other members joining Dw I will always be the main writer of the music and lyrics, it is my vision and creation.. With Deathwinter I give honour to the Devil to Death and to Mother Khaos, so for anyone to be an active participant in the writing of the music and lyrical themes they would have the same convictions as I or else it would turn to one confused un inified pile of meaningless shit!!! Past lessons learned!!! I have collaborated on lyrics for a couple of tracks on the M.O.D ep and a small portion on the upcoming full length Aeonic Worship Of The Anticosmic Diabolos due out later in 2017 with my dark brethren...One of them will be doing the vocals on that album and might continue as Dw's vocalist on future albums!!!  It's looking very likely that I have a permanent drummer for Dw on the next album after Aeonic as I have started another project called Wraith with a drummer from the USA...He is very interested in being a member of Dw!!! So in answer to your question I do prefer to create mostly by myself!!!

6.So far you have worked with 'Depressive Illusions' and 'Iron, Blood & Death Corp'. are you happy with the support both labels have given you so far?
6:SW::: Definitely happy with the support all the labels I have worked with have given me...They have all been very helpful!!!

7.Last year you where a part of a split with 'Pervertor', what are your thoughts on the other band that had participated on the recording?
7:SW::: Yes working on the split with Perventor from Colombia was great, he is a very driven and passionate BM musician!!! We became friends on Facebook and after communicating for a while he asked if I was keen to do a split...I fucking really respect Colombian BM so when he asked me I was very happy bout being part of it!!! Perventor took care of all the artwork and got everything sorted out for the split, i only had to send him the Dw's music and he did the rest...It was an honour to work with him on it...He is also the front man for another band that is not a one man band Ritos De Muerte...We were talking about Ritos De Muerte and Dw doing a split aswell...

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
8:SW::: to be be truthful I really don't know...I have had a little bit of feedback about the releases but I don't know how it all has been received, i think it is to early to tell yet!!! I am thinking Dw might have more of a response later this year after the two releases with Iron Blood happen...1st is the special edition re release of the Manifestations Of Death demo ep due out in the very near future and later this year the full length Aeonic Worship Of The Anticosmic Diabolos will be released...The music is all recorded on the full length, I am now only waiting  for the vocals to be done then send it off to be mastered...The full length will be a major step up for Dw in the sense of music and production!!!

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
9:SW::: Writing and recording more Dw albums and throwing myself right into my new project Wraith that has as a band two members from Australia and two members from the U.S!!! It has a totally different sound and feel to Dw...I have written and recorded 5 tracks for the 1st Wraith release so far and am about to start on more!!!

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10:SW::: Old Dissection definitely Bathory early Watain,old Morbid Angel, Destroyer 666,Sanguinary Misanthropia,Nightbringer....old school Death Metal and the list goes on ...I have been listening to a lot of Colombian BM...Ignis Haereticum,Horncrowned,Ritos De Muerte ECT..Lv Colombian BM...haha

11.Do you have any online links where people can hear your music?
11:SW::: Yes Sinister Essence Records on Bandcamp!!! You can stream the M.O.D ep the Cold Black Eternity demo and also some rehearsal demos...Deathwinter on Soundcloud...
https://sinisteressencerecords.bandcamp.com/album/manifestations-of-death

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
12:SW::: Thanks for your time and support!!! All Glory To The Great Devil!!! Hails

Facebook
SoundCloud

No comments:

Post a Comment