Tuesday, July 14, 2020

S.V.O.C Interview


1 - For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

S.V.O.C. is a raw black metal one-man band with a very noisy and lo-fi sounding. It was my principal black metal project before I join Drudenfuß in 2018 and headed most of my creative efforts onto it.

2 - Recently you have released a demo, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

Although the demo was officially released by Entocomophobic Records this year, all the S.V.O.C.’s stuff was recorded between 2017-2019 (a demo, a split and some unreleased tracks), back into the times the demo was recorded I was making my first findings of harsh noise and noisegrind projects and was amazed by those anti-music scenes. So, I basically blend together elements of old school norwegian black metal bands as Darkthrone and Burzum (like into the riffing) and some shades of noise and grind as the poor quality of the recording and the aggressive sounding and vocals. I can cite as the main influences of S.V.O.C. projects that play both black metal and harsh noise/grindcore styles as Enbilulugugal, Rivologi, Gonkulator, Infernal Goat Vomit, Analthrone, etc.

3 - You are also a part of many other musical projects, what is it that you bring into the music of S.V.O.C that you are not able to do with your other groups?

Well, I’m mainly a noise and dark ambient maker, and the process of creation is very different than composing music. What I attempt with projects like S.V.O.C. is to get out from my comfort zone and explore different concepts and forms of creating stuff but trying to keep the features that defines my material, like the deep and tense atmosphere and the obscure thematic.

4 - What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with this musical project so far?

I wrote no lyrics or song titles for the first demo, I focused more on creating a raw and obscure atmosphere, what I pretend with my stuff is not to transmit a concrete idea or message but evoking sensations and making the listeners generate their own perceptions or interpretations of it.

5 - According to the bandcamp page you also do plenty of other musical projects many of which are not black metal, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical styles and genres you work with?

I’ve been involved in many projects of different genres because I always try to find a style that fits with the thematic that I want to perform. As I said before, I’m mainly a noise/dark ambient maker, my principal project is named GZG, with it I explore mostly personal themes as emotions, my inclinations to horror literature and connection with nature. My style can be defined as dronie or monotonous, focused on performing deep and enveloping atmospheres in an attempt to transmit horror, sadness or introspective feelings, it depends on every album or song intentions; in my tracks I use distorted or manipulated lo-fi field recordings of my environment to reach a more organic sound, trying to avoid digital samples. About my more “conventional” stuff, I’m most interested in extreme and noisy genres as goregrind, grindcore and raw black metal, always trying to keep the anti-music sign on them.

6 - What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name S.V.O.C?

Its name stands for “Satanic Violation of Christ”, I didn’t want a name that was too serious because the project just as an experiment to see what I can achieve performing black metal. So, I chose that one inspired on the second Morbosidad’s release “Cójete a Dios por el Culo” (fuck god by the ass).


7 - Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover?

I always put a lot of effort on the artwork of my albums to make them represent the music or noise it contains. That frozen landscape it’s a reflection of the songs, cold and deep, but also raw and ferocious as an unpredictable storm.

8 - With this project you record everything by yourself, how would you compare it to working with other musicians?

Working along with other musicians such as Insane Mind on Drudenfuß or Xinx Asklas (from Feeling Worthless) into the newest Hate Dogma’s release has always been an incredible experience; but I prefer to work alone, I feel more free to shape the concept of the recording into the exact form that I want to. However, I love doing splits with other artists or participating in compilations because I’m always interested on seeing their creative points of view and putting more variety on the albums.

9 - On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

When the demo was recorded I only distributed it among my closer friends into the scene, until this year, when it was discovered and released by Entocomophobic Records, still it has not been widely diffused, but the reception among the few that manage to listen to it was very positive in general, S.V.O.C.’s stuff is far from the common black metal style, so I’m glad that some people could appreciate it.

10 - Where is going on with your other musical projects?

GZG is currently my most active project, recently its album “A Disgusting Life’s Perspective” (an experimental mixture between harsh noise wall and dark ambient) was released through the netlabel “Fat Pidgeon Productions”, on the upcoming albums I can mention “Jardines del Silencio” (Gardens of Silence), it is a dark ambient split along with the argentinian project Nøkturne, and still untitled harsh noise split with the romanian project la-HA-Crax, both are gonna be released by my netlabel “Nuclear Habitat Records”, and “Jardines del Silencio” will probably have a limited release on CD or tape.

Also, I’m playing guitars on a goregrind project named “Cranial Osteosarcoma”, along with Sick Phillips (from Feeling Worthless, Insipid, Fascitis Necrosante and others), its first demo and a split with several projects from the mexican grind scene are coming out soon.

11 - What can we expect from this project musically during the future?

This project has been inactive since like one year ago because I dedicate most of my time working into other projects, but I’m planning to record a bunch of new tracks and look for bands or projects who could be interested on making splits.

12 - Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

I just want to thank you for the interest on my work, and the opportunity to make this interview. And hail to the ones who support the underground scene!

https://entocomophobicrecords.bandcamp.com/album/demo-i-2

No comments:

Post a Comment