Monday, July 20, 2020

Vintermorke Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Vintermørke, so far, is one man black metal band from Greece. It was created to host my inner thoughts and demons Being a huge fan of black metal , I felt like I had to contribute in my own way and that’s why I started this project.

2.So far you have released a demo and have been a part of a couple of collaborations, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recordings?
Indeed, after my demo I preferred to search for other bands to collaborate. It’s been a long time since I was discussing with The Kingdom of Peace for a common collaboration song. As far as the music style is concerned it really depends on what message I want to pass and what story I want to tell. It varies from raw, pure attack black metal to depressive vocals, while sometimes we experiment with some parts like in ¨Shattered Dreams¨ a song from my upcoming collaboration EP with the Italian Mountain Hermit

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?
Most of my lyrics are misanthropic. They refer to self-destruction, misanthropism and depression. A big percent of my lyrics comes from personal experiences, inner thoughts, desires. It really, again, depends on my mood. Out of nowhere, for example, I can get inspiration and write about being alcoholic. Writing lyrics is like a ritual, you never know what you call for, you just grab a pen and a piece of paper and you let it all out.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Vintermorke?
Vintermørke means ¨Black Winter¨. This name describes a situation that everybody more or less has been into. A period, where for no actual reason, you lose your mind, your inner peace, your balance. Black Winter Is a place where you want to hide, where you will find yourself fighting for the never-ending war of finding inner peace. To be honest I didn’t come up with the name. Back in Bulgaria, where I was studying and after attending a superb live of Sørgelig and End of Mankind, a friend and fellow student came up with the name. In the beginning it was supposed to be an 8 members band, making the sound more symphonic and more like opera. After doing several rehearsals, we saw there was no chemistry and mood and we just gave up. All those events happened during 2019. During the Christmas period, of the same year, I decided to write something by my own, and the song ¨Paranøid Symbiosis¨ came.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover?
To be honest the concept of the artwork of my demo got inspired from the artwork of the split of Psychonaut 4 with Nocturnal Depression. After a few drinks, corpse paint and trying to find the best exposure of light, the demo artwork came. After some editing and playing with black and white effects, the result is the art that you see today. Not a big deal, if you ask me, but at least it’s something.

6.With the exceptions of a couple of collaborations you record everything by yourself, are you open to expanding into a full line up?
Believe me getting a full line up is my primary goal. But its really difficult. All I see is that there’s a huge taboo and prejudgments not only for black metal but also for the extreme music. Don’t forget that I come from a really small town in Greece. From a town that I’m their third black metal band after Oletir and Melan Selas. If it comes, it comes and its really welcome. If not, I will keep doing it on my own. I don’t compromise with my vision, of spreading the antihuman propaganda, to every corner of this world.

7.So far this year you also had a couple of collaborations with 'The Kingdom Of Peace' and 'Mountain Hermit', can you tell us a little bit more about these musical projects?
The collaboration with The Kingdom of Peace started once I got released my demo through depressive illusions records. We were in the same label and I thought that something good would come out of it and indeed I was satisfied with the result. Not after a long time, I searched for another collaboration. I heard Mountain Hermits “Gnostic Isolation¨ on black metal artists YouTube channel and I thought why not? This one turned way better. Except for being just two bands who collaborate we are also good friends. And soon enough you will have news about both bands.

7.On the demo you had done a 'Human Serpent' cover, what was the decision behind doing your own version of one of their songs?
I’m a huge fan of Human Serpent’s music. You know after a while and when you hear the same songs again and again for a long time, then somehow and out of nowhere you are able to play them. That’s what happened with the ¨Vacuity¨ song from Human Serpent. I used to hear this song from the day that It came out till today. I thought I had to pay some attribute to this band for having such impact on both my life and my music.

8.So far you have worked with 'Nailed Nazarene Industries', 'Depressive Illusions Records' and 'Life End Records',do you feel these labels have been very helpful when it comes to getting your music out there heard?
I’m really lucky that I found those labels. They might be small, but they are independent and loyal to the underground. I’m satisfied from all those 3 labels and I wish the best for them.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
Believe it or not I don’t really know. From time to time I check in case I have any reviews or any mentions. Don’t forget that I started several months ago. The reaction and the support are proportional to the time that I’m active as a band. So not good or bad.

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
I hope and if everything goes as planned. It will be released during the last days of 2020. A way to close this chaotic year with more chaos. From as I saw from the tracks, it will be a 45 min album with both depressive and raw tracks.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
My influences are mostly bands from the Greek Black Metal Scene. Bands like Dødsferd, Isolert, Sørgelig and Human Serpent have played a major role on the Vintermørke’s musical identity. Nowadays I still listen to my influences and keeping some ideas

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?   
Thank you very much for the interview. I wish you the best for its continuity.
SUPPORT THE UNDERGROUND!

Bandcamp
Facebook
YouTube

2 comments: