Saturday, July 4, 2020

Grim Tormentor Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?



'Grim Tormentor' started back in 2017, but I didn’t really get the project going until 2018.  I tried to turn the project into a band, but that didn’t work out, so I decided to focus on doing this solo and I haven’t looked back since.   





2.So far you have released a demo and 2 ep's, musically how do they all differ from each other?



With the ‘Living Death’ demo I was going for a more Depressive and Atmospheric BM kind of sound, however with the ‘Lizard’ EP I wanted a more riffy and varied sound.  The ‘Inferno’ EP is more or less the same thing just with some better production values. 



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?



Cosmic Horror



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Grim Tormentor'?



I named the project after the Conan song of the same name, as I thought it would make a great band name.





5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?



It’s just one of my sketches.  I never have a particular goal in mind with them, I just start with some random shapes until eventually it turns into something, anyway I thought that one would work well as a front cover and it looked like some sort of inferno, so that’s how the EP ended up with that name.





6.Originally you planned on playing more of a raw and old school black metal style, what was the

decision behind going into more of a mixture of black and doom metal?



Doom Metal was one of my first musical obsessions, and I always liked writing songs with a lot of tempo changes, so it was a very natural process for me, with this project I just took it to the extreme.   



7.You once attempted a line up with this project before returning back to being solo, are you open to working with other musicians again in the future?



Maybe, but not with this project, as I don’t see it working in a live setting.





8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black and doom metal?



It’s been small, but overall positive.





9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?



Just progressively getting better at what I’m doing. I am now working on the 2nd album for my other project ‘Benighted Illusion’, and then I intend to record the 3rd ‘Grim Tormentor’ EP, which is already written.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



My biggest influences are Necromantia, Mutiilation, Mortuary Drape, Reverend Bizarre, Darkthrone, Bathory, Leviathan, Xasthur, Saint Vitus, Deathspell Omega, Bethlehem, Voivod, Grief, Celtic Frost, Teitanblood, Blut Aus Nord and many other metal bands, these are just the ones I can list off the top of my head.   I also take a lot of influence from Progressive Rock, Krautrock, Post Punk and Space Rock, but I have to say with this project I am influenced by everything I hear, even things I don’t like.  I’ve been listening to a lot more electronic music than I usually do, but I gotta be honest, I don’t really pay attention to what I listen to, I just always have something on in the background.



11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?



It does somewhat, a lot less now than when I started though, these days I don’t really seek out such things for inspiration as everything is internalised at this point.







12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Thank you for the interview.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Youtube

No comments:

Post a Comment