Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Petricor Interview

1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Petricor was born in 2017 with the idea of wanting to channel the feeling and creativity that surrounds me by being surrounded by the forests and nature of my country, Chile, always focused on the darkness, cold and solitude of nature.

2. Recently you have released a full length, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

I always had in my mind to make metal music, it is what I was born to do, as well as the music that I always listen to, but I was very expectant for the sound that it could achieve, but that is something that is achieved from the heart, music is the reflection of your feelings, since it is an artistic creation, and that process is always something very personal, very natural and sincere. If someone wanted to make art, without you liking it or without wanting to say something, it would simply be a fraud or a lie.

3. All the music was also instrumental; are you open to working with vocals on future releases?

Unfortunately, I don't have a good voice to sing. But I do plan to incorporate some female voices in the future with the help of a friend of mine. Also, other instruments, but always in digital form, is the problem of working only on this.

4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name “Petricor”?

PETRICOR is the name given to the smell produced by the first rain when falling on dry soils, which is popularly known as "wet land" or simply "rain smell". With this name I try to define the feeling that I want to evoke with my music, that people remember that feeling and complement it when listening to my music, the rain, the cold, the humidity, I think that it is something closely linked to nature and that it always produces something in us, be it a memory, or a feeling of well-being.

5. Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

My entire project is characterized by El Ermitaño, a being who represents the spirit of forests and nature. It is my way of wanting to physically represent this energy and vibrations that are experienced when one connects with a natural environment. The album art shows El Ermitaño on a large log in the middle of a forest, it is as if he had materialized during his environment, empowered and powerful. The title of the album is "Australis" which in Latin means "from the South", which is from where I come from, the South of my country has a great natural reserve of forests and natural parks that are truly wonderful, so, to be my first album, I wanted to pay tribute to my land and nature.

6. You recorded most of the music by yourself but had a little bit of a collaboration on other instruments, can you tell us a little bit more about it?

Yes, as you say, all the music was recorded in my small home studio, all the composition and arrangements are my work, but the bass is not my instrument, so I had to ask the collaboration of an old friend to contribute with his ideas and melodic lines, I think he did a great job about it!

7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

Yes, I am currently looking for a label interested in publishing my music in physical format, be it cassette and CD, I do not care, although now everything is much better in digital format, I think that having a work in physical format is always much better, since it connects the listener with the art that one prints in each work.

8. On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

Well, you know that this is sometimes very closed and strict, but even so the reception has been positive, which makes me happy, but to be honest, I do not expect the approval of anyone, who likes to hear it, and Anyone who does not go their way is fine with me. I am always open to receive criticism that will make me grow and improve, everything is welcome.

9. Are you also involved with any other bands or musical projects?

No, the truth is that no, although at some point I was in a band, I definitely like working alone more, although that is not without setbacks, because it is always good to hear other opinions and ideas that can enrich your work, but at being alone and without pressure, it is much better over time.

10. Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I just hope I can continue channeling my creativity through music and learning and doing better and more things, that is my contribution to art and culture.

11. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I am a big fan of old Black Metal, from the early 90's, although I still follow my favorite bands, such as Darkthrone, Emperor, Burzum, Immortal, Satyricon, Bathory and a long etc, I always use their first albums, even if I have the complete discography of all these bands, I think that the old and what forged us always prevails over time. And I cannot stop saying that the album "Covenant - Nexus Polaris", is a true gem and masterpiece of metal.

12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

My message, although it may sound a bit hackneyed, is that we take care of and love this planet and its natural riches, let's occupy them just enough to live with it and recycle all our garbage, it is the only way to return the favor to this land that shelters us . And let us not let the big corporations take away what belongs to us, our water, our land, and our air. Thanks for the interview and your space. 

https://petricormetal.bandcamp.com/releases   

No comments:

Post a Comment