Sunday, July 19, 2020

Zmarchrob Interview

1. For those that never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Zmarchrob is a one-man project that was created last May. It is a minimalist form of making music, which is created in a small home studio. It's Black Metal as I feel it.

2. In May you had released your first demo, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?
I have been doing this musical style with breaks for almost thirty years, so choosing a style for the project was easy.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?
The lyrics contain themes of witchcraft, the medieval countryside, haunting legends and various dark stories.

4.Originally the musical project was known as 'Signum Diabolicum', what was the cause of the name change?
I founded Signum Diabolicum sometime in 1995. Originally a three-member band, it has grown to five members over time. We have officially released three demos, all of which can be listened to on YouTube. Sometime in late 2004, the band fell silent. Some members still play music, but do a different style. After a long pause, I decided to make my own project and used my nickname as the name, with which I present the entire period of my work.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Zmarchrob'?
When I was a vocalist in the band Sacrifice for Nerthus. I was nicknamed Zmarchrob. This is an inexperienced young devil from the book "Advice of the Experienced Devil" by the writer C.S. Lewis. I was a little over twenty at the time, I was the youngest in the band, but my zeal was devilish. Since then, this nickname has lived with me and I have been happy to use it for my project.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover?
I have always been fascinated by old woodcuts with a medieval theme. They are very inspiring to me. That's why I created one for the demo cover. I already have other ideas and I would like to use them for my next production.

7.With this project you recorded everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
So far, the independence suits me. I have the opportunity to create when I have the mood and time for it. But that doesn't mean I don't want to work with anyone in the future. I leave this open.

8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
After placing the recording on Bandcamp, I was approached by several PRs. But I was not very interested in their offers. I would rather work with someone who is exclusively dedicated to the underground form of Black Metal music. I have not yet received such an offer.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
It is true that mostly fans from abroad react and there were not so many domestic ones.

10.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?
This demo is a bit like the creation of Signum Diabolicum and in the future I want to blend my music even more with blasphemy and darkness. You will be one of the first to own the next record.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I think I was influenced by the early Bathory, Hellhammer, Venom, Darktrone and others. Even today I like to return to these veterans. Recently I like recordings from Archgoat and for example Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult.

12.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?
Probably yes, but not radically. In my texts, I focus more on the lives of ordinary people who experience extraordinary stories. They also experience them with devils and witches.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughs? 
Maybe just "Black Metal Forever!"
Thanks. Hi

No comments:

Post a Comment