Sunday, October 10, 2010

Mara Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the project for those that have never heard of you before?


Mara is an ambient black metal project that I started back in the autumn of 2006.

2. How would you describe the musical style that you are going for with your music?


In the beginning the basic idea behind the project was to combine black metal with dark ambient and industrial influences. Nowadays I am pretty uncomfortable with labels and genre classifications in general. However, I'd have to say that this description still rings true for the band, even though I have been moving farther and farther away from just being a "black metal band" in recent years.

3. What do you explore with your song lyrics?


Negativity, pessimism, dreams, mental illness, and death.


4. What is the inspiration and meaning behind the band's name?


A "Mara" or a "Mare" is a demon that gives people nightmares. I just wanted to find something that had to do with nightmares. Although, I must admit that if I were to do it all over again I would have probably chosen a different name.

5. Do you have plans on using different musicians or is this going to stay a solo project?


Not at the moment.


I am not going to rule out the possibility, though.

6. What are the releases that you have put out sofar?


There is a lot of material. Some people might even argue that there is too much material, which is understandable really.


I have been recording for about four years now and it has all been a learning experience to me.


I have watched the material slowly grow and change. Only recently do I feel like I have finally reached a point where I am fully satisfied with what I am doing. In the beginning I couldn't bring all of my ideas to fruition because of a lack of recording knowledge and technicality. I have finally reached a point where I know how to make all of my ideas a reality.

7. How has your music been recieved so far by ambient/black metal fans worldwide?


I have no idea.


This is still a very unknown project. Hopefully, people can find some kind of value in what I am doing, but I mostly make this music for myself (I would have to be insane not to).

8. What direction do you see the music heading into on future releases?


Right now I am working on another project that I started earlier in the year called "Malignant Perversity."


I don't know what the future has in store for Mara at the moment. I feel that I have accomplished many of the goals that I set out to do with this project. At this point there may have to be some radical changes or evolution in the project's sound in order to keep me interested in continuing.

9. Can you tell us a little bit more about this compilation that you have put out?


This is a compilation of material from 2009/2010 (from the Abandonment, Decay, and Death demo to Even Darker Days). I consider these tracks to be the stand out tracks from those releases. Hopefully, this compilation will give the listener (who has never heard any of my material before) a pretty good idea of what Mara is all about.


10. Your music has been released on both mp3 and cd, which format do you enjoy the most?


It's released on mp3 out of necessity, since that's how most people consume music these days.


Personally, I prefer the quality of an audio CD to mp3s.


11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music, and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Since I believe in giving credit where credit is due, here is a list of some of the bands/artists that have influenced Mara (at least in the beginning):

Abruptum, Abyssic Hate, Akira Yamaoka, Burzum, Blut aus Nord, Cities Last Broadcast, COIL, Dark Ages, Gnaw Their Tongues, Godflesh, Leviathan/Lurker of Chalice, Lull (the Mick Harris ambient project), Lustmord, Megaptera, Mutiilation, My Bloody Valentine, Mz. 412, Nadja, Neuntoter Der Plage, Neurosis, Raison D'etre, Silencer, Scorn, Scott Walker (The Drift album), Shinkiro, Striborg, Sunn o))), Swans, Tho-So-Aa, Thralldom, Velvet Cacoon, Xasthur, Uno Actu, Yen Pox, etc.

I probably forgot a lot of stuff, but that should give you a pretty good idea of where I am coming from.

Lately I have been listening to the new Swans album.

I have been a big fan for a number of years now.



12. Does Occultism or Satanism play any role in the music?


Not at all.

13. Outside of music what are some of your interests?

Reading, going on long solitary walks, watching a good film, etc.


14. Any final words or thoughts before we close this interview?

Bandcamp
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment