Friday, December 19, 2014

Arthedain Interview


1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the ep?

Since the recording and release of Arias Exalted I have been taking some time to begin working on the lyrics for the new full length album. I have also begun recording some demo versions of the new songs while planning out the song structures. Right now I am focusing on getting shirts created, a second pressing of CDs printed, and numerous other things related to the release.

2.Recently you have released an ep, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

I would describe it as a cold, powerful blast of music that serves as a standard of what to expect on the full length. While writing the lyrics I was inspired by my own personal beliefs as well as experiences. The music serves as a means to deliver the lyrics, but I wanted it to be memorable. I enjoy classical music and I think that’s one of the reasons why I always end up including melodies in every song.

3.I have seen the band refer to itself as 'transcendental black metal', can you tell us a little bit more about this tag?

Sure. Transcendental in this case would mean “that which goes beyond”. When I came up with the concept for the band, I knew that at the heart it should be a black metal band but I never wanted to limit the style based upon an idea of what constitutes black metal. So I suppose you could say that I am open to including many other musical styles such as death metal, doom, ambient, and so on. I’ve never liked the whole “purist” mentality so I think people may be surprised at some of the elements that will be included on the next album.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Well for this album the lyrics were based on feelings of isolation and despair, as well as some focus on the Chaos God Pan. The book PANPARADOX by Vexior 218 was definitely a source of inspiration for the song “Through Immolation Sparked". Even the cover art for the album, created by Robert W. Cook, depicts Pan. He is a central theme to the overall concept of the EP. As for the rest of the album, the songs were partly inspired by nightmares and visions that I have experienced. The new lyrics I am writing are going in another direction and I can see them starting to take the form of an overarching concept.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Arthedain’?

Arthedain is a word that was created by J.R.R. Tolkien and describes one of the three realms of the Dunédain created from the dissolution of the Kingdom of Arnor. It’s residents were described as being fearless and victorious in battle. I thought that is something that applies to everyday life; each day is a battle against something if you’re working to make a change in the world.

6.The band members live in both Germany and United States, what kind of effect does the long distance play in your musical style?

Actually I am also living in Germany at the moment so it makes it a little bit easier. It is still a little difficult for Tobi and me to get together and rehearse though because he has previous obligations with his other bands, Der Weg einer Freiheit and Fuck You And Die. So the process we have now is that I create all of the music and record demo versions of the songs, then Tobi listens to them and writes his parts, and we meet in the studio and record quickly because we already have everything independently rehearsed.

7.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future or do you chose to remain a duo?

I am open to the idea of expanding the lineup, it would just have to be with like-minded people who share the same vision. In the studio, it’s no problem being a duo. In a live environment it would be nearly impossible for us to play all of these songs as a duo. Some bands can really pull it off; Inquisition and Bölzer for example. In our music though it just wouldn’t work.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?

So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive from all over the world. I just took 20 CDs to the post office to mail out today and out of those 20, there were 12 different countries as destinations. That really makes me happy and it serves as a testament that music transcends all borders and barriers.

9.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

We have received some label interest and I would want to sign with a label, but the timing and conditions would have to be right.

10.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

You can expect a full length album sometime in 2015. As of right now, the writing process is going very quickly but I want to make sure that the music is the best that I can write before we head into the studio. As for musical direction, expect us to venture into even darker territory and include some new elements in the music, perhaps some acoustic passages and longer songs.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Some of the bands that have had an influence include Dissection, Type O Negative, Mortiis, Explosions In The Sky, Ulver, St. Vitus, Dark Funeral, and Emperor. Some artists I have been listening to lately are Stortregn, Norot, Lebensnacht, Sólstafir, and the new Wolves In the Throne Room.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?

I like to collect rare books and vinyl. I work as a professional photographer covering everything from concerts to fashion to weddings. Apart from those things, I enjoy nature, reading, and writing. I’m currently working on a photo book about the Catacombs of Paris.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I just want to say thank you to everyone who has purchased a copy of the CD or digital download so far. It’s really awesome to see people supporting the music. Be on the lookout for big things in 2015.

Bandcamp
Facebook
Homepage
Instagram
Twitter
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment