Friday, December 5, 2014

Withania Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Setril: I formed Withania in 2013, after having released two albums as Weidenbaum in 2008 and 2009. In summer 2013 Xceno joined Withania, he is responsible for the clean vocals and some additional growls.
Xceno: Yes, that fateful summer… I was desperate for something new – A new musical experience. So when I had the chance to join Withania I just had to take it.

2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?
Setril: It is pretty hard for me to describe my own music, especially if I have to use certain genres to do so. I guess that it could be described as dark metal, considering the ambiguousness of that term. I think that there is quite a lot of variety in the sound itself, there is the more aggressive dark metal side, but there are quite a few softer parts, that have been stripped of most metal influences.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
Setril: The lyrics are very personal and not easily understood I guess. They basically deal with personal experiences, life itself or more abstract themes that are hard to describe.

4.The project was originally known as "Weidenbaum", what was the decision behind the name change and also the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Withania'?
Setril: I was never happy with the first name and in 2013, when I started the recordings of the album I needed a clear cut with the past in order to focus on the future. Withania is a genus of the nightshade family. I dreamed of one member of said genus several times and decided to use it as a name, as I find it carries a certain beauty and elegance.

5.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you planning on expanding the line up in the future, or do you chose to remain a duo?
Setril: There are no plans on expanding the line-up, but it could very well happen.

6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?
Setril: I’m certainly not desperately looking for a label and I don’t mind being unsigned, but some people have shown interest in releasing the album.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and dark metal?
Setril: So far I haven’t received too much feedback, which doesn’t surprise me. It is pretty hard to raise interest nowadays, especially as a new band that doesn’t play live. The feedback that I’ve received so far has been quite good, though.

8.Are any of the band members involved with any other musical projects these days?
Setril: Xceno is the singer of Final Faith, they play Death Metal. They’ve actually just released their first full length album, as well.
Xceno: Indeed, and then there’s my own side project which is something in between neo-folk, electro and darkwave which will probably never get done as there are songs I work on for over five years now… In the meantime I invite you to check out Final Faith and of course listen to Withania over and over.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
Setril: I don’t know. Even though there are some ideas I’m not sure what the future will have in store for Withania.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Setril: It’s pretty much impossible for me to say which bands have had significant influence on my own music, as they are pretty much subconscious. I don’t listen to metal (or even music) as much as I used to, I mostly enjoy classical music, soundtracks, old time and alternative country and some folk music these days.
Xceno: I second this one. Despite the fact that I sing in another Death-Metal band I don’t listen that much metal anymore. It just bores the hell out of me nowadays.
What I love is best described as neo-classic, old-school goth and certain types of experimental music.

11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?
Setril: No, not really.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
Setril: Movies, literature, photography, nature and herbalism/medicine.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Setril: Thanks for the interview!

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment