1) 1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new album?
The recording of „Staub und Schatten“ took some time because we have done all by ourselves. We started recording in the very end of 2014 and finally it was released on NORTHERN FOG RECORDS in december 2015.
There had been a change in the line up because our former guitar player (“DS”) moved to another part of Germany so we had to replace him (with “P”). Since then we have played gigs in Italy, Switzerland, Denmark and of course in several German cities.
2) 2.Recently you have released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording and also how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
We just call it Black Metal. Like always we tried to keep the music varied and not too one-dimensional. It´s always a mixture of (sometimes very) fast and (sometimes very) slow parts. We don´t want to focus too much on one direction. But of course there are songs who are just fast/slow, cause it fits to the riffs/lyrics. In future we will go on this way.
3) 3.Since 2005 it usually takes a few years before a new recording comes out, can you tell us a little bit more about the gaps in between releases?
On one hand there had been line up changes between the releases and all who are involved in CARTHAUN had a lot to do with jobs and families, so there was (and is) no chance in spending each hour on music. Creating new songs takes some time, too.
Besides that we are not interested in releasing stuff every year. There are more than enough releases coming out every day/week/month so there’s no reason to hurry.
4) 4.The lyrics are based upon famous writers of past and present themes, can you tell us a little bit more about who these authors are?
It doesn´t matter who these authors were/are nor where they come/came from or for what they stand/stood. It´s just important that it appeals to me, having the music in mind. That’s the reason why themes ranges from propaganda-poems over romantic themes up to anti-war lyrics – the only important thing by choosing lyrics: it has to go under my skin!
5) 5.I know that the band name is from an old German artillery cannon, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in the wars that have happened in your home country?
Our interest in war does not depend on our fatherland. The situation leading to World War 1 for example are unthinkable for nowadays people. It is frighteningly and fascinating at the same time. People in that time did not have a choice – most even didn´t think that it’s necessary to have one. They just had to deal with it. Apart from that human abysses rise in times of war or just chaos – quite good time to get an idea of that by looking around in the EU nowadays.
6) 6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
We prefer small gigs in gloomy locations. For us this is the way our music, or Underground Black Metal in general, should be presented. Playing on festivals during sunshine or acting on big stages with lot of lights is not really attractive – of course we played the one or the other festival or a gig in a venue, that doesn´t fit our imagination – we are not fussy at all– but we prefer a dark, shabby, small, nebulous stage, no showlight, just some torches, blood and dirt – that’s where we feel home!
7) 7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the new album?
There are several live gigs planned and more will be. We prefer playing two or three shows around weekends instead of playing a whole tour. Organizers can get in contact for second half of 2016.
8) 8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your newer music by fans of black metal?
We do not care much about that and therefor don´t have a real idea about it. The feedback we get is mainly positive but for us it is much more important that we are satisfied with ourselves and with what we are doing. We know that there are lots of people who aren´t into CARTHAUN cause we are not using that typical cliché and therefore we are not that stereotyped nowadays Black Metal band.
9) 9.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
None of us is involved in other active bands/projects these days.
10) 10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
There are no special plans – and never where. Time will tell what happens in the future. We are not willing to plan too much. But quite sure we will go on.
11) 11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
One of the main influences for sure is Black Metal from the early/mid 90ies. We are into that music up to 20 years now. But of course we are influenced by every sound we listen to. We are not only into (Black) Metal. There’s much more that might grab you by the balls if you listen to it – we stopped only listen to (black) metal quite early and would advise anyone to do the same – life is to short to be narrow-minded.
Apart from music there’s literature, movies and last but not least experiences in our life that have an impact on what we are doing.
12) Get in touch for gigs, cd´s and merch. Trading is welcome! For those who missed some highfalutin philosophical maxims: Take more drugs! Be less stupid!
NEVER STOP MADNESS!!!