Thursday, June 13, 2019

Somalgia Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

I started Somalgia as a homage to 90's black metal.  It is a one man project and my influences include the classics such as Obtained Enslavement, Limbonic Art & Falkenbach to newer greats like Sühnopfer, Ungfell & Grift.


2.So far you have been a part of a split, how would you describe the musical style you went for on the recording?

For the split with Peasant both bands released one heavy track and one soft track each.  My heavy track, Veil Of Perceptual Illusion, was a Wolves In The Throne Room-esque song with a Hammond organ and Burzum style screeches throughout.  The lyrics were about being born into the current slave system we are all apart of and escaping from that.  A mix of 'The Matrix' & Plato's 'Allegory Of The Cave'.

The second song 'Wander Stars Moving Across A Celestial Sphere' was a layered synth track which was my homage to Burzum's 'Tomhet'.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with the music so far?

Some of the topics I write about include secret societies, suppressed knowledge, dystopian / real world parallels, hidden human history, ancient / modern control systems, present day totalitarian / oligarchical regimes (the UK for example) and brainwashing of the collective consciousness...


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Somalgia'?

Somalgia is a nod to Aldous Huxley's 'Brave New World'.  The medication they take in that book to cope with life is called 'Soma', it keeps them numb to the world and blind to the truth.  'Algia' is derived from the Greek algos meaning "pain".  So using the prefix 'Soma' and the suffix 'algia' we get Somalgia.

To me, this is the sickness one would get when awakening from the conditioning we face in our current system.  It is a dystopian illness that one would get realizing most of what we believe to be truth is a lie.  When you realize the whole world is corrupt to its core, rotten and inverted you are left with feelings of emptiness, disconnection and alienation.  That is Somalgia.


5.Has the band done any live shows or is this strictly a studio project?

For now this is strictly a studio project while the first album is being finalized.  Possibly one day if I can find a drummer fast enough.


6.Other then the release being on bandcamp there is very little information to be found on the musical project online with no metal archives or facebook page, can you tell us a little bit more about it?

I will be releasing music through the Repose Records website only and will never have any social media.  I believe social media to be a scourge on humanity and a plague that should be eradicated.  I will not subject any followers of mine to visit facebook, twitter etc.  With each copy of future releases I will be including essays of selected authors on subjects close to my lyrical content - the first one being Dean Henderson's essay 'Electronic Feudalism Is Hive Mind Production'.


7.Recently you where a part of a split with 'Peasant', what are your thoughts on the other musical project that had participated on the recording?

I co-wrote both of the Peasant songs on this split with my good friend Plague.  Peasant is very high paced and erratic and I would say perfect for fans of Deathspell Omega & Ungfell.  Plague is a self taught guitarist from years of listening to Plebian Grandstand, Deathspell etc so the riffs he comes up with are very demented but always seem to sound so cohesive and harmonic.  Perfect for black metal in my opinion.  He brings the riffs and I lay a lead on top of it, so we're a good team.


8.The split was released on 'Repose Records' can you tell us a little bit more about this label?

Repose Records is my own label that currently has 3 releases to it's name.  I wanted to start a label that focused on black metal, dungeon synth and anything avant-garde and tenebrous that caught my ear.  The fourth release, due out later this year, will be the second album from a fantastic project hailing from Switzerland.  I won't say anymore at this point except on my first listen I described it as sounding like 'being sucked into a black hole and ending up in a mental asylum - chasmic black metal'.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

The reception has been positive so far.  My goal for the rest of the year is continue to release more music so people can start to get a real picture of what Somalgia is about.


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

The next Somalgia release will be a full length entitled 'Inverted World'.  I already have the backbone of the album completed so hopefully sometimes next year it will be ready.  The artwork has been done by Gareth Mansfield and it will be mixed & mastered by Dan Abela.

Musically, I can see Somalgia following the current state of the world in it's death spiral and getting darker and darker as time goes on.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

I am a big fan of what the Helvetic Underground Comittee in Switzerland are doing.  Their roster contains some of the most pioneering black metal out there at the moment, Ungfell, Dakhma, DVT, Kvelgeyst etc.  Naas Alcameth is is doing great things with his projects Akhlys, Aoratos, Nightbringer & Bestia Arcana.  A few other notable bands i'm currently spinning on my record player are Peste Noire, Tomhet, Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult, Darkspace, Paysage D'Hiver, ColdWorld, Lifelover, Sühnopfer, Falls Of Rauros & Obsequiae.  I post a weekly Spotify playlist through the Repose Records Instagram if anyone would like to see what else i'm listening to.


12.Does Paganism or Occultism play any role in your music?

No, I purposefully avoid religious references.  My goal with Somalgia isn't to attack Christianity or promote paganism.  My goal is to awaken and enlighten people to the current control system that has been in place for the last 6-8000 years.  This is why the essays I send with each release will be so important.


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

1.Resist 5G & the incoming smart system.
2.Abolish the Federal Reserve banking cartel.
3.Somalgia - Inverted World coming soon...
Thank you,
Orakul.

https://peasantbm.bandcamp.com/releases

No comments:

Post a Comment