Saturday, November 13, 2021

Apocalyptic Leaders Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

"Apocalyptic Leaders" is a solo black metal band from Greece and the city of Thessaloniki that started in the mid 2017s. The only one member and founder is me, Kostas B. and I write all the instruments, the vocals, I do the mix and the production.

2.Since 2020 you have released a great amount of material, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you have went for on the recordings so far?

My musical style is black metal with influences from various styles and black metal eras. I have influences from atmospheric black metal, post metal with punk features and I try to make my music rather raw.

3.The project has been around since 2017 but you waited until 2020 to release any music, can you tell us a little bit more about the earlier years?

From 2017 until 2018 I had written a DEMO "Warriors in the land of doom" that contained 4 songs. In 2019 I had completed the full album "Eternity" together with the single "Rangnar" but all these albums were released in Bandcamp in 2020. That is the reason why there were so many releases in 2020. 

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored with the music so far?

In my music I talk about macabre situations that people go through, the obscuratism that the church brought to free people, the horrible tortures and the curses from ancient Gods. 

5.You also have some lyrics inspired by the writings of H.P Lovecraft, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in his work?

I have written 2 instrumental songs on my EPs, "Shub-Niggurath" which is also known as "The Black Goat of the Woods with a Thousand Young" and "Nyarlathotep", who is describes as one of the Outer Gods. I love Lovecraft's stories that talk about ancient demons and creatures of the sea. I have always been influenced by "The Call of Cthulhu".

6.One of your earlier releases was also all instrumental, what was the decision behind adding in more vocals and lyrics on later releases?

The album "Eternity" is instrumental because I realised that I liked the hearing of it. I had thought of putting vocals but I decided not to because I prefered it that way. But I am thinking of creating a new version with vocals in the future. In my later releases I added vocals in most of the songs because I liked the match that my music made with my voice.

7.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Apocalyptic Leaders'?

The name "Apocalyptic Leaders" was created from my love for post apocalyptic movies with leader characters that tend to survive in destruction situations. 

8.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

Of course it is great to work solo beacuse I can do whatever I want with my music and my emotions and also I can work at my own schedule. Nevertheless I worked with a friend of mine Grito from Vintermorke in the song "Endless ignorence" in which he did the vocals and the lyrics. I am always willing and happy to work with other artists for split albums that is why I worked with the talented mexican musician "Exaversum".

9.Since 2020 you have released a good amount of music, do you spend most of your time writing and creating music?

I do have released a good amount of music since 2020 and I spend a lot of time for my music but most of all I focus in playing guitar which helps me collect ideas for my songs through my feelings.

10.You have a split coming out with 'Exaversum', what are your thoughts on the other band that had participated on the recording?

I believe that he is a great artist. I have heard his full-length album "To live and die with", which is amazing. We met through Instagram and decided to make the split album "Harmony in decrepity". It consists of 8 songs and its duration is around 50 minutes. It will be released in tape from the great "Born too late tapes" label from England.

11.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

I believe that my music was accepted by black metal fans and I realised that beacause I have many possitive comments and messages from them on social media and because most of my tapes were sold from the labels.

12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

In the future I would like to continue making black metal music, to continue making releases and a vinyl album when I can and to remain loyal and authentic towards my fans. 

13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

The first band that influenced me from a young age was "Bathory". I liked everything that he managed to do by himself as a one man band. I was also influenced by "Enslaved", "Emperor", "Marduk" and "Darkthrone". From the new age I was influenced by "Mgla" and "Uada" and I love hearing "Lamp of Murmuur", "Pan-Amerikan Native Front" and "Kommodus".

14.Does Occultism play any role in your music?

Occultism exists in some parts of my lyrics as a reference and my phylosophy is based around it, but it does not depend on it.

15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

I would like to point out that underground black metal music has many remarkable bands that have many things to offer in the future and I know and hear many of them. I would personally like to thank you for this interview and for the opportunities that you give to new black metal artists.


Best regrats 

Kostas B

Apocalyptic Leaders

No comments:

Post a Comment