Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Na Zarot Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


na zarot is a raw black metal solo-project, that I kind of started in 2020. At that time, however, I hadn't planned on publishing anything with it.

That happened when I kept on recording, spent more and more thoughts on it and got some encouragement by friends who listened to the songs.  




2.Early in November you released a demo, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


I am quit a fan of lo-fi music,/ art. Not only in the black metal genre. In my opinion there is a big or even better potential to express your emotions and thoughts ,when you’re not permanently looking for the technically best sound.

So that‘s was what I was doing while I was recording the EP. Just plugged in some gear, set some simple settings, without spending to much effort in it, and than go for it.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?


The lyrics of each of the four songs have their owen basic theme. Since I like the listener to create their own thoughts on it, I wont get into detail what they are about.

But as you can guess, desperation, anger and being in a kind of hopeless situation where you get the freedom of not having to care about yourself, are some basic topics.  


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind 'Na Zarot'?


The Name na zarot came to me on a vacation trip to austria. I was driving through a small village and on one of the few signpost I read the name Nazarot. The foggy and dark landscape kept me thinking that this would be a good name for a black metal band.

A few months after that ,I was in a real bad situation and started to play and record the music as a way to deal with it. That’s when the name crossed my mind again. When I looked the name up on the internet, I found out that there’s already an indonesian black metal band called Nazaroth. So I just changed the spelling a bit and ended up with „ na zarot “ .




5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover?


A friend of mine, who listened to the songs got me in contact with an artist who is very keen on black metal artwork.. So my friend sent the songs to the artist and without much discussion, he created the cover that you can see on the tape. Since we got along really well and had the same thoughts about how the artwork should look like, we stayed in contact and decided to make a shirt for the merchandise as well. You can find his work at: http://bhasdesign,tumblr.com/  

 



6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or

do you prefer to work solo?


Besides na zarot I am already playing in a synth-punk band, called night punch (nightpunch999.bancamnp.com). Although I really appreciate to play in that band, I‘m also glad to be the only member of na zarot and I am not planning on making a band out of it. I guess this has been said some times, but with a solo-project, you’ve got the freedom to make all the decisions, the time schedule and the artistic out- and input on your own. Sure that can be a lot to focus on, but it is also a good way to keep it very personal.



7.So far very little is known about the solo project, are you planning on expanding your presence in the future do you prefer to keep a lower profile?


I wasn’t planing on it, but since I released the tape, I’m kind of interested in paying the songs live. Of course there is a problem with my answer to the previous question, but I imagine that there’s alternative way to perform the music. So, yeah keeping a low profile works fine for me and I don’t think that lo-fi black metal music is the best kind of genre to choose when you are planning on making something big out of it. But apart from that, I’m not trying to intentionally hide myself.



8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?


Until now it worked for me to do (almost) everything related to the project by myself. And since I don’t have any more financial interest, than getting my costs back in, that, used to be fine by me.

But recently I realized that the organization, selling and packing of the tapes / merchandise really takes some time. So that’s something I would like to give in somebody else‘s hands. Besides, I would also be interested in the musical merger of a label. So yes, I would be interested in working with a suitable label.

In the next weeks the guys and girls from „narbentage“ (narbentage.de) are gonna sell some of my tapes and shirts in their shop. So that’s something I already appreciate.  



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


The reaction so far has been great. Of course I had do to some promotion, which I mostly did online, but once it has been out there, it worked quit well. I got to know, that there are a bunch of people in the black metal subculture, that are very interested in new releases and who take there time got get into the music. So far I sent some tapes to France, Spain, Germany, Austira, Switzerland, Netherlands, U.S.A, , and to the Czech Republic. My first stock of tapes is already sold out so that I’m gonna produce some more of them in the next weeks.




10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?


When I made the decision to release the four songs on an EP, I thought that would be a one time thing.

But because of the feedback, me listening even more to the genre, and because I recognized that playing the music helps me dealing with some issues, I’m pretty sure that there’s gonna be more of it to be released. Be it on another EP or a full length album, we’ll see.

Besides that, I don’t have so much effort to improve my skills as a musician, than rather keep on recording some songs that I care about.




11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


I’ve listened to metal music since I was like 13-14 years old. However that’s not been the only kind of music that affected me. I also got into punk, hardcore, garage and other alternative genres. But in the last two or three years my, general interest in metal, especially in black metal came more forward again. There was one notable moment when I was listening to the album „prussian blood“, by „somme“ The intensity of the music really worked and still is working for me. I guess that was the point when I started to get more into the lofi-black metal music.

Because oft he online promoting of the EP I got to know some cool music oft he scene as well. So there’s a lot that I’m listening to right now, but the last thing I heard during my ride to work was „Departure Chandelier“, „Mulla“ and a band that I almost can’t spell:  „Mispryming“.




12.Does Occultism play any role in your music?


I don’t know what came first, my interest in metal or the interest in the occult. I guess it came up the same time and has benefited from each other.

I’m not an Expert in the field, but I read the books and kept my interest in it.

As you can see on the bandcamp site, I got into Crowley lately. In a mantric way, that works very well for me



13.before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


„the ordeals I write not: the rituals shall be half known and half concealed: the Law is for all“ – nuit

Thank’s for your time.

nazarot.bandcamp.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment