Saturday, November 13, 2021

Starving For Death Interview

 

For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?


First or all, thanks a lot for doing this interview, it’s a great honor. Starving For Death was a project that was born ages ago and it started being just an acoustic (using some distortion for the guitar) and a voice that also had distortion and it was made as a Depressive/Suicidal Poetry project. I’m talking about when MySpace was born. But throughout time it was been more like an Experimental project because the sound is different with every album I’ve released.


Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ form the stuff you have released in the past?


This last release was actually a compilation made by Xivu Arath Productions and contains a bit of the most recent albums I’ve released. In this album you will see how much of an experiment this project is. DSBM tracks to more kind of gothic and some of them more simple with just guitars, vocals, bass and drums.


You also have a few other solo projects, what is it that you bring into the music of 'Starving For Death' that you are not able to do with your other groups?


Like I mentioned, Starving For Death is more like my experimental project. The other projects have their inspiration and genre very well defined, but with Starving For Death I never really know what I will do until I take my guitar and start recording. I can’t say I’m an experience musician because my music is quite simple in terms of guitar riffs (to mention one), but I guess that’s the beauty of SFD, that you never know what the next album is going to sound like. 


What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the new release and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?


The new release is a DSBM release and focuses in the beauty of death, and also in betrayal. We live in a world where people focus more on being assholes, rather than focusing on the beautiful things and as for me, I got inspiration on how tired I am of living in this world full of idiots and cheaters and criminals. As Death Approaches, is a song that I really like and it’s about embracing Death as it comes to take us.


From 2014 to 2019 there was no music being released with this project, can you tell us a little bit more about what was going on during that time frame?


From 2014 to 2017 I just didn’t have any recording equipment. In 2013 I moved to China and during those years I changed workplace so, I couldn’t buy any equipment. Then in 2018 is when I started two of my other projects and focused on them more than I focused on SFD.


What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Starving For Death'/


It’s the constant hunger of wanting death to take me. As if I died but being death such beautiful passage, that I crave for more. 


Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


This artwork was actually made by Xivu Arath Productions and I love it. A crow, often a symbol of death, standing high on a tree, surrounded by a cold and solitary forest.


With your musical projects you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?


Yes, I’m always open to work with others. I’m actually working with Star Damage as a vocalist and I’m currently working on a project with a friend from Mexico, also as the vocalist. This last project will be more thrashy-melodic-kind-of project. We will release a single some time this year if everything goes well.


9.In the last couple of years you have released a great amount of material, do you spend a great amount of your time writing and creating music?


I used to spend a lot of time but I recently started a new job and I don’t have so much time for music anymore. On the weekends is when I have time but I honestly don’t have much inspiration lately for music. I’m not sure I will be releasing something any time soon, except for the two projects with friends I mentioned above.


10.The new album was released on 'Xivu Arath Productions', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?


It’s a new label which stays true to the underground projects and bands. They focus on tapes and digital and as far as I know my album is the first one they released. They will be releasing more stuff for sure. I know the owner and I’m good friends with him and it’s not the first time I work with him. 


On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?


Not bad, I mean, like I said before, I am not a professional musician, or best said, I’m not a skilled musician so, my music is always simple. I’ve got some good comments about my music but in the end, even if it’s just a people who enjoy my music, that’s good enough for me. I’ve had great comments from people here, in China, and from people in other countries.


Can you tell us a little bit more about the other solo projects you are a part of?


Well, two of my most important projects are Winter Dynasty, which is a project inspired by Chinese Nature and Mythology. The latest release was an EP called Poems For Nature, it was released last August. And Star Devourer, is a cosmic black metal project inspired by the Cosmos, Sci-Fi and Space Horror. Last month I released an album called 01101000 01100101 01101100 01110000 which is binary code.


13.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?


I don’t aspire for much as a musician because this is just a hobby. I’d like to take one of my projects Live, but I’m not sure it’s possible. At least not any time soon. 


What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


For my projects I’ve been inspired a lot by bands like Darkspace, Mesarthim, Midnight Odyssey, Bliss Illusion. And recently I’ve been listening to old stuff from Darkthrone, Burzum, Immortal. I haven’t listened too much of the new stuff released this year, but there are really good bands being born every year.


Does Satanism or Occultism play any role in your music?


Not really, but it will probably be at some point. I can’t say I am a fan of Satanism but I do like some of this ideology. 


Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Well, I just want to thank you and everyone else supporting my music. It’s always a great pleasure and honor to do interviews. All of my discography is in Bandcamp for Name your price so, if you think it’s worth it, you can pay or get it for free. Thanks a lot!

Bandcamp


1 comment:

  1. Amazing artist. I love all 3 of his projects. Star Devourer is unreal!

    ReplyDelete