Monday, November 21, 2022

Pale Herald Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Pale Herald is an atmospheric black metal project created in the concrete landscapes of southern Poland. I founded it after years of bouncing back and forth between small local bands with the thought that it is time to do something entirely my own.


 


2.Recently you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?

When creating Pale Herald's music, I drew inspiration from black metal, especially atmospheric black metal and post-black metal. What I value in music is the atmosphere, mood and emotion and that's what I wanted to emphasize most in my music. The EP Architects of Loss has slower tempos, black metal riffs that are mixed with strongly melodic parts, and sometimes also with clean guitars accompanied by female vocals. All this to make the whole thing telling its own story.


 


3.According to the facebook page the band formed in 2022 but has released material in less than a year, did you put a great amount of time and effort into writing and creating the music?


Music was made before the Pale Herald itself announced it existed. I think I started writing material at the beginning of 2021 and by the end of the year I had the songs ready. Later, it was a matter of logistical and technical work, and less creative but it took some time. At the end of March 2022, together with session musicians, we entered the SG Production studio, where we gave the final touches and recorded the material.



4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?

Now Pale Herald paints the image of the last days of humanity. He tells a tale of the titular Architects, who brought irreversible changes. A story of the successive stages of the collapse of the world, nature and humanity, reminding us that in the face of the inevitable end, everyone will experience their own personal apocalypse. 


 


5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Pale Herald'?

The Pale Herald is a sort of a harbinger, a silhouette bearing bad news, a flash before the storm. Now it heralds the arrival of the titular Architects and in its own way warns against what they will bring.


In the future, the Pale Herald will bring more and more stories.


When choosing this name, I was mainly inspired by the apocalypse and just as the apocalypse can manifest itself in various forms... We know all religious ideas about the end of the world, right? Each of them is different from each other, but the word "apocalypse" or "end of the world" is clear to everyone. I wanted my band's name to be something like this - a universal harbinger that no matter what robes it wears, it will be clear that the news it brings is not something that will make you uneasy.


 


6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

The artwork was created by Sylwia Machlica (“linogryzka” on instagram). When creating it for the EP, we aimed at something atmospheric, drawing inspiration from various sources, i.e. nature, gloomy landscapes, everything around us. Not limited to the technique of preparing graphics - drawing, linocut or photo. This is how we got the cover of Architects of Loss. 

I’m aware that it doesn't scream "black metal" to the potential listener, but it is moody, aesthetic, organic, undefined and somehow disturbing. And that's what I like about it.


 


7.Has the band done any live shows or open to the idea?

Not yet, but it's in the plans! I have just gathered a lineup of musicians with whom I will play concerts and collaborate in the future on creating new material as a legitimate band.


As befits a small beginner band, we will start local in Krakow clubs and pubs, and then we will see where it will take us.


 


8.Currently the band is unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I got e-mails with offers from labels and I looked through them. But the truth is that just like Pale Herald appeared out of nowhere, Cisza Records goes hand in hand with him. Now Cisza Records is helping me to promote the band. At the moment, the label is hardly noticeable, because Pale Herald is this loud and expressive companion, and Cisza works in silence (“cisza” means silence in polish, pun intended).



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?

It's hard to say. We've only just started as a band and we're trying to reach out to potential listeners. Ask me in two or three years, ok? <laughter>


 


10.Are any of the band members currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?

From the line-up of musicians with whom I am currently forming a band, no. Each of us used to play somewhere, but they were small local bands. Among the session musicians who helped me record the album, Jakub Modrzecki has his band Fate Mystified, and Paweł Czartoryski plays in HellHaven.


 


11.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

To be honest, I don't know. I have plans for a single or even two, but full length album will take a lot of time which actually I don’t have right now. I have a concept and a lot of lyrics, but I need to cool down after releasing Architects of Loss, gather my strength and thoughts.


I would like Pale Herald to take big steps towards post-black metal, clean guitar parts and skillful building of the atmosphere and not to be afraid to turn into heavy, overwhelming motifs torn from doom metal.


Nevertheless, I don't want to fixate on this direction, because music is a journey, and during the journey, sometimes new paths are discovered that you would not have thought of at the beginning when planning.



12.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

The biggest inspiration for me was Agalloch. This incredibly atmospheric stylistic mix made a big impression on me from the moment I heard them.


Black metal and doom metal are the two genres closest to me and I mainly drew from them. While creating the material for Pale Herald, there were many bands that inspired me: Secrets of the Moon, Harakiri for the Sky, Batushka, Mgła, MØL. And doom metal: Swallow The Sun, Hanging Garden or Draconian.


Certainly more or less consciously writing the material, I let my passion for ambient, post-rock and folk show itself.


 


What have I been listening to lately? Recently in my speakers you can often hear the new albums of  Septicflesh and Agathodaimon. Both are great. Also Hanging Garden, October Tide or Darren Korb (his Hades’ soundtrack  is pure gold). However, much lighter non-metal vibes prevail -mentioned post-rock, ambient, folk. I feel like I need to reset after the whole EP endeavor.


 


 


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

Dear readers, whatever you do - music, poems, stories, artwork - let it out into the world.


 


Thank you so much for having me!

https://paleherald.bandcamp.com/

https://www.facebook.com/paleherald

https://www.instagram.com/paleherald/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNWGUCeVVRu3z8xkZUhs4wg


No comments:

Post a Comment