Thursday, November 10, 2022

Deapscufa Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the solo project?

It started around 2013 or so after a great trauma. Wrote some songs and came to Devin Harper at Nocturnal media and he set me right. For what I could do then anyway. First release was that and it was out in 2016. Got some live dudes together and played some shows. Devin also recorded the Forrest Wanderer single.    I hope to work with him again when I rewrite my debut EP. Wasn’t happy with what I had done at all. But I was new at it so I can’t hate it too much. 


2.Recently you have released your first full length, musically how does it differ from your previous single and ep?

Vastly. Had a rough time with how I sounded and wrote so I took a step back and reworked my approach. I wanted a different sound so I went for it and am very satisfied with the outcome. 


3.This is also your first release in 4 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?

Oh yes. I front 2 other bands called Pahayokee and Ofstingan. Oftsingan, It’s us 4 and we all write together and play shows. We go all out with the corpse paint and nail bracers. It’s great fun. Even greater dudes. Pahayokee is spear headed by my good friend Ben Cotton of Rose Funeral. All while writing Beyond A Dying Horizon. 


4.On one of your tracks you covered Paganism, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?

I really like the lore and it’s what my ancestors believed in before Christianity. It’s kind of an ode. I’m generally atheist, but Im real into the Anglo Saxon history. 


5.What are some of the other lyrical topics and subjects you explore with the newer music and also how would you describe your progress as a songwriter over the years?

The paganism themes, haven’t done that before. Generally I write how I feel and all that. I had written a concept EP a while ago that I never put out. That was like a spin off of the Godkiller album ‘Rebirth of the Middle Ages’.   


6.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name Deapscufa'?

So, Deapscufa (depscufa/dayappscufa or how ever you want) or the correct way, déaþscufa (death scufa) is Old English for ‘shadows of death’. Which is a representation of mental health struggles.  This is a way I cope with the world and the world in my head. 

7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

My bass player who also is in Malignant Vision recommended him to me. I found that artwork for sale and it was perfect. Doccygore does amazing work. 


8.On the albums you record everything by yourself but have a live line up for the shows, are you open to working with other musicians on the recordings or do you prefer to work solo?

I’d rather write on my own.  I love writing music with other people, but not this.  Way too personal of a project.   I attempted working with other people on this years ago, but it didn’t go well at all and have been protective of it ever since.


9.With the live line up what are some of the best shows that you have played and also how would you describe your stage performance?

Mostly played in Louisville where I lived at the time so playing with all of my friends were highlights. As well as discovering some real great bands who I still jam today, Fornicus (who Oftsingan did a split with), Obsidian Shrine, Well Of Night. 


10.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

Absolutely. Got a great live crew this time around. And we can’t wait to get this on stage. We’re currently figuring everything out.  Two members still live in Louisville, and one lives in Florida. 


11.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

I’m not actively looking. I wouldn’t be opposed if someone did show interest. No one has yet though. 


12.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

I’m not sure about worldwide, but my peers and influences seem to like my work. Which is great considering it isn’t very ‘trve’. 


13.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

Making tons more albums with all of my bands and hopefully more.  I know the next Deap album is gonna be pretty riffy. And more symphonic. I wanna crank the knob a little bit. 


14.What are some of  the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

A few bands that influenced me to write this would be Sorcier Des Glaces, Godkiller,  Cantique Lépreux, Vehemence, Obtained Enslavement, Thulcandra, and Imperium Dekadenz. Of course, all styles give me a few ideas. I listen to a lot southern rock and old country, opera, and some gothy stuff too. So I’ve been borrowing from that. 


15.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts? 

Yeah I super appreciate anyone that checks out my tunes. I appreciate the good words and high rating.     I hope that someone struggling with the things I’ve written about can relate and know they’re not alone. The world is rough and so is the mind and I hope I can help. 



Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment