Thursday, December 7, 2023

Outland Hill Interview

 

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?


We are a new band from France. Erroiak and I (Septev) are playing also in Hrad together. 

I wanted to explore new horizons and try to blend some old 80’s synths with black metal, so I created this project and Erroiak joined me. I am writing the music and do the mixing and mastering, and Erroiak is taking care of the guitars and the vocals.  


2.You have a new album coming out towards the end of December, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style that you went for on the recording?


Yes, our first album will come out the 22nd December 2023, and we propose some kind of synthwave with black metal. This is a concept album, and the music serve the story. Each track is immersive and gives an identities to the story. There are multiple layers of synths blended with strong guitars. The vocals performed by Erroiak are really powerfull. There are 2 instrumental tracks. 


3.The lyrics on the new recording is a concept album, can you tell us a little bit more about the story you had covered with this rleease?


The lyrics were written by Simon Gould. Based on the music, he created a whole story with a synopsis. From the synopsis he wrote the lyrics adapted to each track that are an episode of the story. 

A small town is tortured by an interdimensional being that controls the weak minds of children, sending them to absorb the memories of the adults and feed them to it. The more memories it consumes, the being grows stronger. A rogue scientist who has been following the being’s attempts to enter our reality arrives in town for a final confrontation.




4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Outland Hill'?


There is no particular meaning. Outland Hill is the name of the city where the story takes place. A small Americana town, where nothing happens and where people are living their life quietly. Until the firsts strange events happens. 

This a made up name. 


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?


The artwork represent a dodecahedron over a hill. In the story, the interdimensional being is the dodecahedron. He is the evil that comes in town to destroy the reality. 

I wanted an artwork in the mood of the eighties artwork, with a retro logo as well. It fits the mood set by the synths perfectly. 


6.Has the band done any live shows or open to the idea?


No live will be done. This is a studio project only. We have a full fil life with work, children, etc that doesn’t gives us the opportunity to meet every week to have rehearsal, and go on tour on the weekend. 

We also have other side projects that require time. 


7.On the new album you also have a few guests, can you tell us a little bit more about who they are and their contributions to the recording?


We have on the first tracks Cryo from Eminentia Tenebris, that played a nice lead guitar. On several tracks Maggot comes as narrator (she was also with us on our last album from our project Hrad). 

On the electro track, in the middle of the album, H4kser0 (from Oreskah) plays a guitar solo from outer space, he is really talented! And on the last track, Dave Lee plays all the guitars, and gives us a nice 80’s feel. 


8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal and synthwave?


To be honest, I don’t know for the moment. I think that we are the only band that blend these 2 genre like this. There is Abstract Void as well but he is more in a blackgaze mood. 

I hope the reaction will be great when we will reveal the whole album. 


9.The physical version of the album is coming out on 'Weregone Records', how did you get in contact with this label?


Weregnome is in charge of the tape edition. It was quite natural to contact them, as they have already produce our 2 albums with Hrad and also the first album of my dungeon synth side project Eklemata. 

We are doing a small run of CD in autoproduction. 


10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?


I don’t know, but I feel I will follow my instinct and see where it goes. I like this album, I like how things took shape, and I guess I’ll continue this way. The mix of the 2 genre is kinda new, so there are tons of unexplored horizons! 


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


For this project I didn’t had lots of influence. They were more synthwave than BM. I’d say Kavinsky or Perturbator. 

I discovered Abstract Void when I was writing the album, but he didn’t influence me that much. 

I listen to many different band classical and unknown, but for example I have now in my truck the last Wintermoon (from France), the Cavalera new version of Morbid Vision, the last Kvelertak, the last Eminentia Tenebris. And I also like to listen some Caladan Brood or Mayhem (Grand Declaration of War and Wolf’s Lair Abyss) 


12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Thanks a lot for this interview and for your interest. I hope people will at least have a listen to our unsual sound. 

We are also preparing a new album for our project Hrad, which is more atmospheric black metal. 

https://outlandhill.bandcamp.com/album/dodecahedron

No comments:

Post a Comment