1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?
First of all a big thank you for this interview and all the best for the occult blackmetal zine. These days we are focused in the composition process and pre-production of the new tracks. We try to be 100% ready for the new album. Clearly there is a delay time but this was clear our choice, at least for the standard we have set. We will not accept to make just a simple movement, but an album that will come to stay!!
2. How would you describe the musical sound of the current material?
The new tracks sound like Deviser more than ever... simply imagine the harshness and brutality of “Transmission To Chaos” and a mix of melodic dark/black and dreamlike atmosphere of “Unspeakable Cults” with the personal sound and stamp of Deviser.
3. There has been no new music in 5 years, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time span?
During these five years we haven’t any important news. We haven’t any official album release, but only some album re-issues. We prefer to release something only when we are ready to do it and when we have something to give to the people, than just to release something that is not represent us.
4. In the beginning the music was more in a death/thrash direction before evolving into more of a black metal style, what was the decision behind going into this musical direction?
There is no music direction and no specific sense of style. We are playing with a simply, truly and clearly way. The style is affected differently by each member influences. Don’t forget that Deviser started as a one man project band in 1989 by Matt Hnaras in island of Crete and 4 years later the band became a full line up band. So, as you can understand, it’s logic to have different influences and the sound of Deviser changes from time to time!!
5. Some of your lyrics have occult themes, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in this topic?
Our lyrics have several elements like occult, Chtulu etc. The guy who is responsible for this is Matt Hnaras, who writes the lyrics. “Unspeakable Cults” specifically, refers to the whole album with the aim to give an unspeakable and dreamy description in order to overwhelm the listener in other situations, not has ever experienced before..
6. You have also talked about how H.P Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard and Stephen King have influenced some of the lyrics, are there any other authors that you are influenced by?
The artists you mentioned before are the main influences of our lyrics. A good example for how we are influenced by them are the lyrics of “Unspeakable Cults”
7. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Deviser'?
The meaning of Deviser:
Deviser is someone who invents, who devises new situations and builds innovative new things. So we are trying to invent and devis3e new situations and emotions through our music... We Are DEVISER!!!!
8. What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
We had many live performances through all these years. Some of the best shows we had, were with bands like:
Venom, Virgin Steel, Emperor, Theatre of Tragedy, Rotting Christ (Metal Invader Festival, Olympic stadium-Athens)
UDO – Anathema (Chania Rock Festival)
And several additional shows with bands like:
Tiamat, Lacuna Coil, Lake of Tears, Ancient Rites, Septic Flesh, Rotting Christ etc.
Now I consider that our stage performance is simple and essential, like an early Kreator show. But we prefer that we will be judged by our fans and not to speak about our shows ourselves!
9. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
When we release the new album we will have more news about Lives, Tours etc. This will clearly be our priority but it’s still too early to say more about....
9. Recently Sleaszy Rider Records re-issued your 1996 album, what are your thoughts on the final product?
We are completely satisfied with the final result from the reissue of “Unspeakable Cults”. The album is re-released on 28/06/2016 in Deluxe Digipack CD incl. Bonus Track. It’s also available in a limited bundle Edition (CD +T-shirt) and a Pictured LP will be released from Sleaszy Rider Records soon. The label proved once again that it is a great company. We are completely satisfied about this cooperation and for sure we will continue our cooperation in the future..
10. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
The feedback was particularly warm and enthusiastic all these years, especially with the “Unspeakable Cults” and “Transmission to chaos” albums. We got many positive comments from the worldwide’s metal scene..
11. What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
It’s true that some members of Deviser were involved in other band’s projects. That has it’s positive side, because they acquired some more experience etc. Priority of all of us is clearly our band.
Some bands that we have worked in the past are
Kawir, Chaosbaphomet, Nocternity etc.
12. When can we expect new material and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I believe that we will be ready for our new Release during 2017. We thing everything else will only come with good music and an album that will stigmatize the metal scene generally. Maybe it will be the sequel of “Unspeakable Cults”...
13. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
We had many influences from many styles. From Rock (Pink Floyd, Eloy etc) up to giants of metal scene (Slayer, Bathory, Mayhem, Kreator, Celtic Frost etc)
These days in my sound system plays unstoppable the “Rituals” of Rotting Christ which I find magnificent!!
14. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
I want to thank you for this interview. I wish the best for occult blackmetal zine and to convey a big “Thank you” to those who are supporting us all these years and keep us alive. I believe we will reward them soon.
In addition I would like to inform our fans about the Anniversary Edition (Re-issue) of “Unspeakable Cults”. It’s available now in deluxe Digipack CD with T-shirt and soon in Pictured LP from Sleaszy Rider Records.
Check it out from Sleaszy Rider Record’s site and e-Store (www.sleaszyrider.com)
Band Contact: email@example.com
Keep the Black Spirit Alive!!