Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Nulla+ Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

I had the idea of Nulla+ at the end of 2014. The project born in order to connect the 90's black metal minimalistic sounds with the hardcore sounds, using lyrics born by improvisation and inspiration of the moment related to the "Stornelli", a kind of folk poetry grown in the Middle Italy at the end of the Middle Ages/begin of the Reinessance (for those who don't know, Nulla+ is an Italian band). The "Stornelli" are composed of satirical topics with an indefinite numbers of verses in very simple form. Riccardo Mencarelli (drums) was called to help in the construction of "Stornelli Distopici": eleven tracks, eleven sinisters "Stornelli" written and recorded during 2015. Every one of them is inspired by a micro or macro situation, and on whatever trivial there's in the world: to live and to die in this dystopia which is the human being.

2.In May you had released a new album, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recording?

I really love hardcore punk and his power to express concepts and also black metal for his bleak gloomy atmospheres. Both of them are often visceral and primitive and their strong influence give me the possibility to communicate, as best as I can, what I had to say. Essentially our debut is a very raw concentrate of this two genres.

3.Can you tell us a little bit more about the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

Currently I write the songs so I wrote down all that I see around me: the human misery that create a real dystopia where we all flourish into the chaos and desperation. The world could be a better place, after all, but we cannot live in a different world where there are no more wars and hunger. This is a fact. But I've tried to be sarcastic and ironic in my songs: this is the reason why I chose my mother tongue so that I could have more possibility to express myself even if this is an obstacle for our success.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nulla+'?

In English you will say "Nothing More", this is to remark the pessimistic and simplified way that is inside our music. We try to synthesize concepts in music, with no thrills, straight to the point and....Nothing More!

5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?

We are not a live band for now but we are working on it: we should be ready in autumn.

6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?

Work in progress...

7.The album was released through both 'Symbol Of Domination Productions' and 'Metal Throne Productions, are you happy with the support they have given you so far?

It wasn't easy to find someone that could believe in this project. The help we had from both labels, gave us the right rush to go ahead and try to spread our music the more we can, as well as the economic help for the print of CD's. We are DIY philosophy fans, so we are the first who must give to do.

8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and hardcore?

Let's say, without shame, that for now there's a very quiet situation but it was expected: our debut album was released on May and, before then, no one knew us. Also, don't forget that we are not a live band. We've had a very good review on CVLT NATION talking about some recent Italian releases and we were very glad to be there. For now is going better that we can imagine and, for this reason, me and Riccardo, decided to transform this homemade project in a live band.

9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

I'm sorry but I don't know what to say...Stornelli Distopici was released just 2 months ago, I have all the time to understand where we will go!

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Both me and Riccardo listen to all the kind of music. About Stornelli Distopici my influences were Ulver, Darkthrone e Mayhem but also some historical Italian bands from 80's and 90's such as Wretched, Indigesti, Underage e Negazione. Riccardo likes more the thrash metal. Recently I listen to Italian bands: in the past few years there's a lot of good, powerfull stuff (Hungry Like Rakovitz, Loia, Genocidio Chimico, Carnero, Hierophant, Nudist, Naga, Stasis, LVTHN, Viscera///, Hornwood Fell) that deserves to be listen to.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I read a lot: Anthropology, Horror literature and Pulp are my preferred reading. I also love movies even if, after the 90's, there's a lot of sh*t. I try to stay healthy...with no results!

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thank you for the chance and don't forget to listen to us!

https://www.facebook.com/NULLAPLUS

No comments:

Post a Comment