Saturday, July 2, 2016

Seltar Interview


1. For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?


Seltar is currently a one-man project. I started the project in order to bring some dormant musical ideas and urges to life and give them a voice. My intent is to create music that is atmospheric and epic, yet raw. Falling under the veil of black metal, there is also a mystical darkness that I naturally strive for with Seltar. It is my escape from modern existence.



2. So far you have released 1 EP and 1 full length, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings?


The first release was intended to be a demo and the second an EP. The democratic powers of the Internet bumped the releases up to an EP and a full length. In the end, as long as the music is out that is all that matters. was recorded over a span of a few months; it was the first foray into this project, so I was writing as I was recording. In this process I was testing ideas and adjusting levels. was done in a shorter time frame. The priority with these recordings was to make the music atmospheric and ancient-sounding.


3.Your lyrics cover Iberian Heritage and Ancient Times, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?


The themes I gravitate toward are those concerning my blood. I am fascinated by the ancient world and how little we, as a modern society, understand it. This project is a minuscule reminder of a past life and an urge to be transported to another time. It interests me to know more about where my ancestors came from. I would say that I look within for my influence for this project or anything I have ever undertaken. Looking within leads me to a distant world and an understanding, albeit abstract, of my ancient origins.


There is little we know about the Iberians, their language and Atlantean civilization, which is why the subject beckons me. If I could, I would pen the lyrics in the ancient language! There is genetic (and to an extent, cultural) evidence that supports that Iberians were the indigenous people of Western Europe. Dr. Stephen Oppenheimer has pioneered this theory in regards to the origins of the British.



4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Seltar'?


In the little that is known about the ancient Iberians, Seltar is theorized to mean "tomb". I found that to be appealing as a name for this project and it stuck.


5. In what part of the United States is the musical project located at?


Seltar is based in the northeastern United States.



6. On the albums you have recorded everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians?


Recording alone has many positive aspects. This is especially true since this is such a personal project for me. It is a cathartic experience being able to build this in solitude. However, I am open to having real drums in the future as well as some folk instruments-of which I play neither.



7. Heathen Tribes put both releases on a single album, what are your thoughts on the final product?


Heathen Tribes are a pleasure to work with. They decided it was best to combine the two short releases into one, which was a great idea. The physical copies look and sound amazing. I am delighted with the outcome. I look forward to our alliance as we continue.



8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of atmospheric black metal?


Considering that this is a small project the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. It was interesting to find that folks took the liberty to spread the music throughout the Internet. However, I do not think many people have heard this yet.



9. Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?


This is currently a one-man project, but it would be interesting to take it live in the future. Right now that is not something I want to do because I still would like to explore within this solo framework.



10. What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?


Bathory, Burzum, Summoning, and Windir are big influences. Lately, I have been listening to Forteresse, Gris, Nokturnal Mortum, Volahn, Kroda, Hordak, and hell of a lot more. The latest Forteresse and Hordak releases, especially.



11. What are some of your non musical interests?


I enjoy history and reading about how life was once lived. However, a lot of that ends up relating to music anyway. Walking is a big interest; I enjoy wandering without a destination in mind. If it is in the forest or a hike, even better, but I do not mind the city.



12. Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?


Do not succumb to the trappings of the modern world.

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment