1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1. dakhma was formed in 2014 and was a 3 piece but are currently adding another member to play guitar/bass. to describe our music we play mostly atmospheric black metal mixed with other genres such as crust, post rock, post metal, etc.
2.How would you describe the musical sound that is presented on the recordings?
2. our sound is a blend of a lot of different styles/genres which we think helps us create our own distinct style. we have a lot of clean melodic passages that are juxtaposed with raw distorted parts. generally all of our music is very depressive but there is a hint of hopefulness underlying the majority of our songs that ideally is relate-able to most people's daily life or mental health.
3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
3. our lyrical themes vary from song to song, but some themes have been about frustration, environmentalism, and depression. East for instance is primarily about seasonal depessive disorder, looking to the east waiting for the sun to return. Living in Michigan and enduring harsh winters every year takes its toll on us, but at the same time enduring the gloom inspires us and helps us write/create musically.
4.I know that the bands name comes from from the Zoroastrians, do the band members have any interest in Persian Mythology.
4.I guess you could say we have a mild interest in persian mythology. Zoroastrianism is an interesting religion, but apart from our name we don't really take away anything else (for the band) from the mythology. The concept of a Dakhma has always been interesting to us, its a very unique way to dispose of dead bodies. Its about keeping the earth pure or clean which is something that is very relate-able to us personally.
5.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
5. all of our shows have been great and we appreciate everyone who has ever booked us, let us crash, fed us. we don't want to single out any specific show as being the best because we have legitimately enjoyed the vast majority of all the shows we have been apart of. we've honestly never put too much thought into our stage presence; we mostly are just trying our hardest to play the songs as best we can. we've been toying around with a couple ideas to improve/change up our stage presence, but haven't actually tried them live yet.
6.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
6. We are currently planning a tour for may/june that we are very excited about, we will be touring with a band called Dawn Ray'd from the UK. It will mostly be east coast dates, then cutting through the south and back to the midwest again. Also closer towards the end of the year we will hopefully be setting up a west coast tour which we haven't done as a band yet.
7.Your 2016 recording is getting released on vinyl by 'Halo Of Flies', are you happy with the support that they have given you so far?
7.Yes we are very happy with the support we've received from halo of flies. cory runs a great label and has released a lot of music that has definitely helped influence our sound.
8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and crust?
8. Its been humbling at the ammount of feedback we've received for suna kulto from people all around the world. We primarily do this for ourselves (because we wouldn't know what to do if we weren't) but we're happy that our music has reached so many people in a positive way.
9.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
9. Musically our sound won't change too much in the future, but adding a fourth member has definitely opened up a lot of new ideas for songs that we are very excited about. We've been experimenting with some new ideas, mostly making our songs more atmospheric and abrasive in certain parts, but overall i think we still maintain the same style/sound. We are working on two new songs at the moment, for two splits coming later this year, and are happy to be getting back into the studio to record.
10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
10. We're influenced mostly from black metal bands such as wolves in the throne room, leech, ash borer, mgla, etc but that's not the only style of music that we listen to. We're also influenced by a lot of post rock, post metal, crust, grind, punk, and sludge bands. we even find inspiration in mainstream pop and rap.
11.What are some of your non musical interests?
11. Music is definitely one of the biggest parts of our lives, but aside from that we enjoy good friends, good hangs, DIY culture, coffee, bikes, dogs, beer, weed etc.
12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?