Thursday, February 14, 2019

Vorga Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?

Atlas - Sure, we're a modern black metal band based in Karlsruhe, Germany. Our music focuses mostly on nihilism and looking at the world through that lens. I created the band while living in Scotland and brought the music and ideas with me when I moved to Germany. Luckily I managed to find a great group of musicians here to make the band what it is today.

Пешо has a bunch of various acts he used to and still plays with such as Vrani Volosa, Act of Grotesque, Bloodlines, Damage Extreme & Prokyon.

Jervas previously played drums for Aaskereia, Corporal Punishment & Grabfinsternis.

Volker has played guitar in Azrael's Seed and Geäst.


2.You also have your first ep coming out later in February, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

Atlas - I wanted to find a balance between the chaos and aggression of black metal and simpler, sadder melodies. I also wanted to create something that would translate well to a live environment.

I also wanted it to have a very modern production style. I know it can be quite divisive in the BM community but personally, I think the power and aggression of a modern production really help gives some extra weight to this style of black metal.


3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?

Atlas - Servility and corruption of power are two topics that seem to keep coming up. The feeling of frustration and hopelessness in trying to change things, and the idea of purpose.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name ;Vorga'?

Atlas - It is the name of a starship in Alfred Bester's 'Stars my destination'. In the book it plays a role as the protagonist's reason for living, he saves his own life only to get revenge on this ship he thinks abandoned him. I liked the idea of what the ship represents - misguided purpose and the strength that can be wielded in ignorance.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?

Atlas - The artwork of the band is trying to convey feelings of human insignificance. We're trying to recreate that feeling of mixed wonder and horror looking into the night sky and feeling small.


6.The band members come from the United Kingdom, Germany and Bulgaria, what kind of impact does this have on the bands musical style?

Atlas - Next to none really. I am the songwriter for the band and create the music & lyrics nearly fully-formed before handing it over to the rest of the guys. This doesn't leave a lot of room for interpretation and helps keep the vision consistent.

In terms of our backgrounds and what they bring, we certainly come from different walks of life and musical tastes and I think it definitely helps add something to our sound.

Пешо - I don´t think it makes really a difference when it comes to music that doesn´t include folklore.

7.Are the band members open to doing any live shows if the opportunity ever came?

Atlas - Definitely! We're in the middle of organizing our first release concert here in Karlsruhe but I hope we can get on the road and do some touring when the time is right. We're very keen to get out there and play as much as possible.

8.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?

Atlas - We're certainly interested but it's not anything we're actively pursuing right now. We're happy self-releasing and self-promoting until it becomes too much to handle by ourselves and we need to enlist the help of others.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of melodic black metal?

Fantastic right now! We've been positively overwhelmed by the initial response our EP has received and we're already looking forward to the next release.


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

Atlas - At the moment we're planning a second EP release for later this year. All that material has been written. I'm currently writing a full length I would hope we can release in 2020. Stylistically it's similar to what you hear now, but perhaps with a slightly more sci-fi/cosmic angle to it.


11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Atlas - I'm not sure if you can hear it in the music but bands that have influenced me are Dodheimsgard, , Arcturus, Khonsu, Gorgoroth. Right now I'm listening to Skeletonwitch's Devouring Radiant Light.

Пешо -  From Beatles to Grindcore, but generally extreme music. I was more into technical/progressive death metal about 10 years ago, but lately, I listen to more black metal and I´m always searching for underground music. There are really good bands I find all the time.

Jervas - Maiden, Paradise Lost, Dissection, Samael etc.


12.What are some of your non musical interests?

Пешо - I use almost all of my free time, making music and working on musical projects. Aside from that, I love riding my bike or going out into Nature, without any people, structures or facilities around.

Atlas - Both me and Jervas enjoy brewing in our spare time. Apple wine, cider, and beer mostly.

Volker - Riding Motorbikes


13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for taking the time! Check out our EP at vorga.bandcamp.com and see you at a concert soon!

Bandcamp
Facebook
Homepage
Instagram
Spotify
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment