Friday, February 15, 2019

Ultio Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?
Ultio is an Italian one man band born in the late 2017. I released my first songs as a demo in 2018, then the remastered edition that will be released in March 2019. For now I consider it a side project, a “place” in which I can vomit negativity and violence in total freedom.

2.So far you have released one ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?
I wrote and recorded this EP in few weeks, it has been a sort of “one song a day”. It's an experiment from a certain point of view: I wanted to be more natural and instinctive possible trying to capture the moment, without rational thoughts about style, production or anything else but playing black metal.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with the music?
The lyrics follow the same approach. They speak about instinct, violence, pain… there is not a real concept, but I focused my attention on the human's bestial side. That’s why the title is “Fera” (“Beast”, in Latin).

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Ultio'?
Ultio means revenge in Latin. I think it’s perfect for this project: no mercy, no rationality, violence… and in my opinion the word sounds good and is consistent with this concept: concise, hard, sharp.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?
As I said the EP is titled “Fera”: the artwork simply represent the mouth of a beast in a woodcut fashion. I think those primitive strokes fit very well with the concept, music and production.

6.On the metal archives the project is listed as being from an unknown area, is that intentional for the time being?
I think it’s due to the fragmentary promotion of this EP. When I released it as a demo I just uploaded the songs on bandcamp with basic information, without caring about promotion or anything else. Only few months later I decided to remaster the EP to give it a better form and an appropriate promotion. No mystery, I'm from Genoa, Italy.

7.On the ep you also recorded all the instruments by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?
I think that the solo project formula helps to focus energies in a better way preserving spontaneity.

8.The EP is also going to be released through 'Brucia Records', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Brucia Records could be intended as a sort of collective. Some friends and me are involved in every aspect: the bands, design, production, promotion. For now is a container of the members' projects, in future I don’t know. We want just release our vision of black metal and similar music for attitude and aesthetic. Some releases are scheduled for this year, so follow us on bandcamp for updates.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
It's early to say, we just started promotion, but the first responses are pretty good.

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?
Hard to say for now. I think the EP is a good format for Ultio because in a short time I can express only what is necessary without filler songs or useless repetitions. I don't exclude anything, but I don't care much about "formats", i think it's not a real problem in the current music world.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I think about some Swedish bands like Setherial, Funeral Mist. Maybe some Norwegian as 1349, Carpathian Forest or Gorgoroth for some atmospheres, but it’s difficult to say only few bands. About my current listening I could mention the recent works by Vessel of Iniquity, Elixir of Distress, Svederna, The Order of Apollyon, Precaria to name a few.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Just thank you so much for this space on your great zine. Follow me on Bandcamp for updates: https://bruciarecords.bandcamp.com. Hail

No comments:

Post a Comment