Thursday, May 2, 2019

Blotgrop Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what is going on with the musical project these days?
Right now I am recording the second EP. The progress is going slow but steady, and for once I have more material to work with than I am going to use, which is quite pleasant.

2.So far you have released one demo, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?
My goal was always to make somewhat mid-paced Black Metal with melodic influences. It was my first ever attempt to record music, and I basically learned to use the equipment as the recording went on. I think I remixed the first EP around 500 times. I think it came out pretty decent given the circumstances.

3.You lyrics deal with Asataru and Nordic Spirituality, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these ancient pagan practices?
I am a practicing heathen and have been so for nearly ten years. It means that you have a spiritual approach and relation to the Nordic myth, a circular and non-linear comprehension of time, and most heathens also have a shamanic practice to it. The myth, the Edda,  contains great knowledge on the human mind and existence that can be revealed to the one that is determined to dedicate himself to it, for sure.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Blotgrop'?
The name is basically a pun, made out by the words Blot and Grop, Blot meaning the old Norse ceremonial offering and Grop meaning ground hole. It was made up by a friend of mine 15 years ago when neither of us had a clue of Asatru. But the name stays since it has got its own meaning now.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the demo cover?
The artwork is designed by me and consists of a bindrune with the letters of the band name. Every single letter in the name has a corresponding rune, which constitute the bindrune. The nine-pointed star has one point for every realm in the Nordic myth, but it is also a Walknut that has been broken out to a more symmetrical form. Walknut is an Odinic sign.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself, if you found the right people would you be open to working with a full band or do you prefer to remain solo?
I would definitely like to cooperate with others. Though I am quite reluctant to release the hold of the creative reins, it is pretty exhausting to do everything myself. Also, it would make possible to perform live in the future.

7.The cassette version of the demo was released by 'Depressive Illsions Records', how did you get in contact with this label?
Pretty easily, I contacted them and told them about the release I were about to make and they were interested in putting it out. It is a tape that is limited to 66 copies, if I remember correctly.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black, viking and pagan metal?
A little more than none, to be honest. This is a totally independent operation run all by me, and promotion has been done on a very small level. Hopefully that can be changed, though, because this project is here to stay for a while.

9.I have read that you are currently working on a new ep, what can we expect musically once it is released?
A bigger folky touch with more clean guitars, and a little more doom-influences. I am trying a few new tricks, and different, non-typical chord progressions. Candlemass and Solstice has always been a big inspiration for me, as has Opeth and psychadelic music and I think it can be heard.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Now days it is much Svartidaudi, Bölzer and Mgla. These are good days for Black Metal, indeed! I of course listen to alot of different bands and styles, and I want to mention Örnatorpet, Kebnekajse and Tusen År Under Jord just to mention three...

11.In another interview you mentioned having an interest in politics, spirituality, philosophy and horror, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in these topics?
Black Metal is of course strictly differentiated from politics, and must remain so. Philosophy is an important topic to me since it is a way to regain the spirituality that was thrown out of the window along with the entrance of secularism. Our modern secular society is more or less devoid of metaphysics, and philosophy is a tool to regain it. Nietzsche, Zizek and Bard are cool reads. I read all the time, and horror is my favorite fiction genre. I recommend everyone to read Thomas Ligotti for instance, a total mind-bender of a horror author.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks for giving me this space of attention, I totally appreciate it! Hopefully some people give Ödesrök a listen and like it. Hails!

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment