Sunday, October 4, 2015

Aegorton Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?



Aegorton is a one man black metal/doom metal project from the UK. I started this project in 2014, with the intention to create all of my music single handed. I write, play, record, mix, promote, and release all of my music alone. The production is raw, but not so raw that it's hard to tell what is going on, like with many early black metal demos.



2.So far this year you have released 2 demo's, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings?



The first demo, simply called "Demo 2015" has more straightforward, simple sound. It has only guitar and drums, and has only 3 original songs (if you don't count the intro and outro). Demo 2015 took black metal riffs and fused them with doom metal riffs. It's as simple as that. I wanted a very simple sound then. Demo 2015 is good, however the second release, Plaguelord, is much more complex. On Plaguelord, I tried to create subtler, more complex, thought-out music. I bought a bass guitar, played around with effects, I took a step forward and tried more to create an atmosphere and feeling to my music. I experimented more and the music was more black metal oriented this time. I took inspiration from bands such as Ulver. This time, there was a common theme of the plague, and I tried to reflect this in the music I made. Demo 2015 was a more straightforward showcase of ideas, Plaguelord is more complete and thought out. Demo 2015 has atmospheric moments but overall is showing off black and doom riffs, albeit good ones.



3.So far all of the music has been instrumental, are you planning on ever bringing in vocals in the future?



Yes, I do. I plan to include vocals on the next release, whenever that may materialize.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Aegorton'?



Aegorton is simply an amalgamation of parts of other words. I was having trouble finding a name, so I decided I would take parts of words and fit them together until I found something that sounded right. The word "Aegorton" has no definition, but it has meaning, although the meaning is not clearly defined. 



5.With this musical project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to remain solo?



I am adamant on not including any other band members, however, I am open to someone appearing as a guest on a track or two. I am also open to working with others, however, under a different project.



6.Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or have received any interest?



I am looking for a label. I may be releasing cassette copies of Plaguelord through a friend of a friend's label, although this label is very small.





7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black and doom metal?



Very positive! I don't recall receiving negative comments on any of my online pages, such as Soundcloud or YouTube. I receive positive reviews from fans and critics alike. Although, black metal fans seem to appreciate Aegorton more, as, primarily, I focus on black metal more than doom metal.



8.What is going on with the other musical projects these days that you are a part of?



I have a dark ambient side project I am working on at the moment, called Ootheka. I plan to release a demo under that project sometime later this year or early next year. I haven't got anything released under that name so far. I am also talking with a friend from another black metal project, and we may be creating a project together soon, so look out for that.



9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician in the future?



I only see myself improving, both my musical ability, and my musical output. Although, the future is a mystery, like it is to everyone and everything.



10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



I am, obviously, influenced by other black metal bands mainly. Main influences on me, musically, would be Burzum, Ulver, Strid, Darkthrone, Kvist, Sigh... The list goes on. You can hear these influences quite clearly sometimes. At the moment, I've been listening to Nokturnal Mortum, Kvist, Mutiilation, Ulver, along with other albums or bands I have in my collection. My musical taste is very metal oriented, I listen to most styles of metal, and, also, non-metal music as well, although not as much.



11.Does Occultism play any role in your music?



Yes, I find inspiration for musical ideas through occult themes, although I include other themes in my music, the most obvious example being Plaguelord having a theme about the Plague. I am very interested in history, so horrific events from the past, or the past in general, play a bigger role. Then again, I am also interested in the occult, and occult or supernatural themes are present in my music.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



Thank you for the enjoyable interview. To those interested, you can download Aegorton's  music via the Bandcamp page, or purchase CD copies if you prefer.

Bandcamp
Facebook
SoundCloud
YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment