Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Rraaumm Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

Well, first of all, thanks for your interest. I’ve been recording music by myself ever since I came across – more or less- usable recording gear. The very first demo recordings I ever did were actually on one of those horrible 1-track mobile recorders. So, around two year ago, I started getting interested in modular Synthesizers and inevitably bought some and began to record sounds with them. I combined some of those recording with some guitar melodies, which I had lying around for year, and started writing songs. The final result is „The Eternal Dance At The Nucleus Of Time“.   2.So far you have released an ep, can you tell us a little bit more about the musical style you went for on the recording?

The whole style is a bit more melodic and better produced compared to what I normally record. However, I didn’t really have any framework or anything else in mind. The only rule, I set myself, was to leave my own comfort zone. That’s why there are more guitar melodies, guitar solos, ambient parts and an overall better production.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects that you have explored so far with the music?

Lyric wise, the record is sort of a concept album. It describes the astral projection of an unknown individual who wants to wander beyond the stars and the known galaxies It ends at the centre of the universe, the ultimate chaos, where Azathoth, the Daemon Sultan, rules all time and space and is eternally encircled by a horde of dancers. The person basically ends up being part of that neverending circle of dancing figures and won’t make it back to his physical existence. Hence the title. A huge H.P. Lovecraft-worship.

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Rraaumm'?

Weird name, isn’t it? It basically dates back to a lyric of a former band. The text passage was „Raum ohne Zeit ohne Raum“ and stuck with me ever since. When I had to find a name for this project, I couldn’t think of any better term to describe the indescribable. The infinite space and the relativity of time, the feeling of inner and outer void and basically not belonging anywhere. At least to me, the term „RAUM“ perfectly described all that. So, the name is some sort of a tribute to that band and especially a huge bow to that vocalist.

 5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?   It’s an older drawing that Kamazid did two or three years ago. It perfectly describes the concept of the record: An astral projection getting dissolved in black spiral vortices of the universe. It’s way more simplistic than a lot of his album covers, but it really fits the album perfectly. Fun fact: The drawing wasn’t even intended for this record in the first place and I always wondered where to use it eventually. So, when I finished this whole record, everything fell into place.

6.With this project you record everything by yourself, what is it that you feel makes you stand out a little bit more to the other solo black metal projects?

Probably nothing, haha. It is special for me, since I put a lot of work in it and am quite pleased with the way it turned out. Sure, in hindsight, I’d change some bits and bobs, but overall, I’m really satisfied. If it stands out among other solo black metal projects is a question, someone else has to answer.   7.There is very little information about the band other than the bandcamp, metal archives or 'Van Records' page, can you tell us a little bit more about the lack of media?

Yeah, that’s mainly due to the fact, that I don’t really believe it’s necessary for this project at all. The music should be in the foreground, not the people behind it. Then again, social media accounts are nearly inevitable nowadays, so I might change my opinion on that at one point in the future.   8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

I don’t really know, honestly. I haven’t read any reviews so far and right now, I am just glad, that it’s got released in such a great way. Apparently some people seem to enjoy it and some seem to dislike it, but that’s fine. You can’t please everyone.   9. What is going on with your other musical project 'Haxenzijrkel' these days?

I hope you don’t mind, that I‘d prefer not to speak too much about Häxenzijrkell in this context. We do have some plans for the future, but don’t want to spoil them anytime soon. Time will tell.   10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?

I’d kinda like to refer to „The Eternal Dance At The Nucleus Of Time“ as a full-length, anyways. But I am working on a few ideas, which might develop into a follow-up and a few people have already heard a more or less finished track and the reception has been pretty well. Musically it’s getting a bit more tightened in terms of songwriting, but everything else is way too early to conclude. The finished track is a bit more rockier, but some ideas will turn out pretty harsh. Let’s see if it takes me another year to finish it.   11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?   Lately, I mostly listen to Iron Maiden, King Diamond/Mercyful Fate, some older Black Metal bands such as old Samael or old Mayhem and some Noise/Drone/Ambient acts. The latter definitely sparked my interest in synthesizer, whereas Maiden is the sole reason for ever picking up a guitar in the first place. But I’m not sure, if those influences are actually hearable in the music, I make.

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks very much for the opportunity to do this interview and keep up the good work! .UPON THE NARROW PATH BEYOND THE STARS.

Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment