Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Sertraline Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
1. We began, conceptually at least, in 2015 but didn't fill out a full lineup until 2016. I'd say we are equal parts black metal and post rock thus creating a very big and atmospheric sound. That is what we aim for anyway.

2.So far you have released 2 ep's, musically how do they both differ from each other?
2. I think the two releases are fairly similar sound wise. Shade, our debut EP, is a good introduction to our sound. I think our latest, From Both Our Hands, is ultimately an extension of that. Our next release, which will actually be coming out fairly soon, will continue to show what we are about but with a natural evolution and better songwriting which is of course what you want as a band with each respective record.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?
3. As the vocalist I write all the lyrics. I'd say, so far, it has been a mix of personal experiences as well as some storytelling. I've always taken writing very seriously and my themes are generally heavy. Some themes have been loss, grief, religion, poverty, and addiction. Though I must say within the dark subject matter there is, at times, some hope.

4.I know that the band was named after a generic name for Zoloft an anti depressant, how does this name fit in with the musical style you play?
4. Some people have been kind enough to tell us that our music can be very therapeutic and can feel like an escape while at the same time also being deemed depressing, lol. I think we are very proud with the combination of our sound and the name. It has worked out as it was intended. I myself am on that exact medication and it honestly has saved my life. So that just only adds to the profundity of everything.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new ep cover?
5. Our bassist, Jason, came across that painting while searching out some ideas. It was by a wonderful artist, John William Waterhouse, called Ophelia from 1889.

6.What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and also how would you describe your stage performance?
6. I think we've been fortunate enough to have played many great shows. I wouldn't say any in particular stand out. We did just tour and definitely had some memorable ones. We played a show in Manchester, NH on a night where just a few blocks away Trump was giving a rally speech. So that was very interesting, lol. Quebec City and Pittsburgh were fantastic and we love playing in Portland, Maine. As for stage performance, for me personally, I am very physical and "in the moment." No matter how many people are watching I give it my all. As a band, especially with music of this ilk, I think the live aspect is very important. Perhaps even more so then a recording. We need to convey the power and emotions of our sound. I'm confident that we achieve that in every show thanks to the great talent around me.

7.Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
7. As I said, we did just get back from a tour. We have toured a couple times now. Would love to do it again but would definitely prefer next time to have some help by a label and/or booking agency as we've done everything ourselves. It would be much less stressful, lol. We will be taking a few months off from playing live to continue writing our full length record but before that we do have a show here in Buffalo opening up for a great band, Inter Arma, on Sept. 4th.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of post black metal?
8. Responses have luckily been overwhelmingly positive. I think both with touring and releasing records all you can hope for is just for more people to hear your music and in turn more people to witness it live. It's a process and we will continue it. Having Hypnotic Dirge, a label we are all big fans of, release our current EP has only helped that process along. We hope the reactions will continue to grow and be positive.

9.Are any of the band members currently involved with any other bands or musical projects these days?
9. All but our drummer came from a band called Where She Wept which was a blackened doom band that actually existed for 15 years. As for currently, yes our bassist plays in a black metal band called Enthauptung which has music out there to find. One of our guitarists, Jay, is always involved in other projects, lol. One of which is in its infancy so I don't have any details to spread at the moment. But it will sure to be released to the masses at some point.

10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
10. We have a couple new songs now completed, that we've actually been playing live for a bit, and then will just continue writing for the rest of the year. Always tough to predict of course but would hope to have a full length ready to go by the end of next summer. I think musically we'll just continue to evolve and really just let things develop naturally. We already love the two new songs so we are excited to continue this direction and see where it takes us.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
11. I think a great thing about the six of us is that we are very much on the same page when it comes to our music but we also all bring a lot of diversity influence wise to the writing process. We are of course influenced by bands within the genres of post black and post rock. But those genres are very vast and then each individual musician can bring something completely out of the box but when integrated with everyone else it ends up working. I think no matter what sub-genre or band inspires us we just want our sound to be intense, powerful, impactful, and ideally memorable. As for what I am listening to at the moment? That's tough, always listening to a lot, lol. I'd say lately though I've been on kind of a noise, atmospheric, drone-pop type of kick. Bands like Drowse, Floating Room, and Midwife.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
12. I think a big interest, outside of music, not just for myself but a few others in the band are horror films. Been a massive fan for decades. I have a YouTube show and will be starting a podcast soon so that obsession takes up a lot of spare time.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
13. Just want to say thanks for the interest and thanks for the questions.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment