Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Zebadiah Crowe Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording and release of the new album?
>
> Hi, well... the album is still not quite out yet so myself and Forr have spent quite a bit of time trying to work out what our next move is. the world has changed pretty drastically since we first did Zeb. I mean, MySpace was a thing when we first started. the band was in ruins when I went back to it. So we are re-building almost from the ground up. also we had a tour organised for October but... that’s just not gonna happen now with the whole virus thing, but we have plans. Also we are trying to work out just how to do this stuff live. so there’s lots of choices we have to make. Good thing is... we’re beholden to no one. we’ve never rely played the game and done stuff others think we should do... it’s an open boom rite now, which is pretty exciting. I mean if I had my way a Zeb show would be an old tv on stage playing a VHS video of a decapitated head puppeteer-ed by piano wire and we would play behind a curtain... but I’ve been told I’m not aloud to do that! Hah!
>
> 2.Recently you have released a new album, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have re;eased in the past?
>
> musically it’s less fussy, I wanted a more old school approach. more Motörhead get in the van kinda thing. that said the themes and atmosphere haven’t changed. it’s still all about fear and madness and telling horrible stories. I think and what I also hope, is that the production is much better which was important to me.
>
> 3.This is also your first release since 2013, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?
>
> I won’t lie, throughout the years we’ve been away I’ve often been asked for stuff about Zeb and the answer is always been the same. “We’re not dead... just sleeping” and believe me, it needed to be out to bed as I was loosing my mind and me and Forr weren’t in the best place. we’ve been away doing other bands and started working together again a few years ago... it seemed like it was time to get back into the saddle.
>
> 4.Your lyrics are based upon the writings of Edgar Allan Poe, H.P Lovecraft and Clive barker, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in their works?
>
> Poe was the first, a reading of the black cat on tv I believe. My passion for lovecraft started very early in my life when I was gifted a huge leather book of his story’s when I was about 10 (a little too young to truly appreciate them rely) as I grew older I re found them. I seldom have one of his books not near me. as for mr Barker, it started with books of blood and Nightbreed the movie. I remember sneaking into the living room at 2am to watch it. since then I’ve had the pleasure of meeting him twice although I fear for his health these days. I find great comfort in the tales of darkness from these people and sometimes a bit of redemption. less alone in the world. although I’ll never be held in there same light, I like to think maybe some of my lyrics tap the same vein as they do and hopefully some day people will find them.
>
> 5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Zebadiah Crowe'?
>
> zebadiah means gift from god (or a god) crowe is often used in middle English to describe somthing dark or black so zebadiah crowe would be “a dark gift from the gods”
>
> Zebadiah Crowe was also a thief, murder highwayman and generally all round bad guy in the late 16 hundreds. They hung him eventually.
>
> 6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
>
> We wanted something different. auto stand out. So we almost went completely against everything. I’m also a big fan of dystopia and cyberpunk so after some back and forth with the artist (all things rotten) we came up with our artwork. I’m very happy with it. It’s ugly but also quite beautiful and esoteric. There’s lots going on with it but it’s deceptively simple.
>
> 7.Currently there are  only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding the line up r do you prefer to remain a duo?
>
> We do have a live drummer we use sometimes but... if I can be honest, I enjoy using drum machines. I’ve found we can use the sound and push it harder. so either works. Saying that sound guys have a fit when we show up with our own pa just for the drums and keyboards and look at us like we are mad. I’ve also found it makes us more mobile we can set up and play almost anywhere.
>
> 8.What are some of the best shows that the band has played over the years and also how would you describe your stage performance?
>
> Hmm... a tough one. although I found very little in common with certain members of the band I think the small run of tours with gorgoroth to be very good. Gaahl was a pleasure to be around and I enjoyed our talks on the nature of things and the crowd was receptive.
>
> 9.The new album was released on 'Lore breaker Records'. can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
>
> there very new and still finding there feet a bit. I’m hoping they might become known for being a label that takes chances on bands that might not exactly fit the mold and are lauded for duality releases. I’m looking forward to seeing there evolution and hopefully being able to work with them and there other bands in the future.
>
> 10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your newer music by fans of black metal and grindcore?
>
> well dirge hammer came out to almost zero fanfare, which I think is a real shame. It was rely scary stuff and I love playing the tracks live. People seemed to like it though and for that I’m grateful. So far ghost rider has been quite warmly received which is gratifying I’m intrigued to  see ether happen next, although not being able to play live or organise shows is going to make things very hard... I’m looking forward to the work.
>
>
> 11.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that some of the band members are a part of?
>
> They continue to roll along. Both myself and Forr are pretty good at moderating our time these days so we’re set aside time for them. Hi n a non musical front I’m in the process of compiling lyrics into a book with artwork, which is quite exciting as I’ve not been published in years.
>
> 12.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
>
> I would hope scarier and more atmospheric. Ideally. I’d like Zeb to be like ministry circa psalm 69 (when they were undoubtedly one of the heaviest bands on the planet) where it was a real headf^*k to see and hear. So I intend to write accordingly.
>
> 13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
>
> Believe it or not dark synthwave is a favourite of mine. the new priest is excellent, I’d love rob Halford to do another two album as well. it was rely interesting. Seriously! I’d love to be involved I’d happily write the music. I’d make it heavier I think. so Mr Halford if your reading this.... let’s talk. He he.
>
> I was lucky enough to contribute some lyrics to dark fortresses “I am the jigsaw of a mad god” there album Ylem is often played late at night heee round my flickering lamp. I usually listen to black anvil, voivod and morgoth etc when I’m drinking etc but I don’t think they’ve had a new release for a while now. I’ve known Blake for a few years and I’m expecting big things from Him and the new nachmystium album now he’s put that stuff behind him. oh and leviathan/lurker of chalice. I could go on but... I’ll just bore everyone.
>
> 14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
>
> Ave dominus noctis
>
> we appreciate your time. Thank you
>
> Z.C.

Bandcamp
Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment