Thursday, June 4, 2020

Disamara Interview

                                     Disamara's interview for Occult Black Metal Zine

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the musical project since the recording and release of the new album/

Hi, in the meantime I wanted to thank OBMZ for the opportunity to make Disamara better known through this interview. Well, the disc will be released on June 11, 2020 to be precise but in the period since the end of the recording to date I managed to distill new ideas for the next release even if at the moment they are still unripe fruits that need to mature
Even the lyrics are taking shape but the whole composition process requires me to feel inspired, the result is not born from a planning but from the desire to close my eyes and get carried away

2.Recently you have released your first full length, musically how does it differ from your previous release?

In truth I tell you that what is considered my previous release is nothing more than a promo and the substantial difference lies in the fact that for that promo the mastering had been mastered by me while on the full length I made use of the professionalism of Roberto Siggia and his "Ossario studio recording" in Turin. The creature from which Disamara takes shape is my previous project, Theart, released with a demo in 2006 and a split with Uxor in 2009. In this case I decided to keep singing in Italian but the songwriting is more mature and cared under the aspect of the arrangements. And I must add that my voice has definitely improved ha ha!

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far and how would you describe your progress as a songwriter from the ep to the new release?

I could say that my style refers to non-pessimistic existentialism and fatalism but at times I also like to write about the places, stories and legends of the places where I live and to which I am very connected. In my lyrics, humankind, and I also include myself, is often involved in experiences always connected to Nature, its own nature and that which surrounds it, with all the consequent emotions that derive from it: joy, anger, serenity, hatred, fear etc ... that's what interests me, the small and big things that happen in life and that fade if we relate to the cosmos. I speak of the awareness that I feel growing in me. We destroy the world only because we don't understand it. It takes awareness and a new spirituality, which would then be the ancient spirituality. We understood more when we didn't understand. In the future I will develop these concepts and my writing skills

4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Disamara'?

Well, disamara is a seed, a particular seed that does not always fall near the tree from which it comes off but if carried by the wind (inspiration) it can go far. It also carries within it what we could define its traditions and which will help it be part of what it will be. The concept is the evolution that maintains a link with its origins (it is what makes everything interesting, not homologate)and  I think the term Disamara perfectly embodies this feeling

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

Certainly. The artwork, including the cover are my photographs taken in the many excursions I love to do in the woods, on the hills or on the mountains that surround the village where I live. Then together with Robert of Naturmacht Productions we chose the most representative ones, elaborating them in the form that you can see on this magnificent format. I am very proud of the result

6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

I prefer to work alone, also accepting all the complexities that derive from it. Conceiving, composing, recording, arranging gives me the opportunity to reveal to myself aspects and abilities that otherwise would not have found a way to express themselves. Those who make their own music know how hard it is to start from a blank canvas and get to show their work to the public. And when this happens it means that you will have left a mark of your passage, small or large it was

7.The album was released on 'Naturmacht Productions', how did you get in contact with this label?

When I finished the work on the album I realized that I would have liked to have it released for a label that shared my values ​​and that offered bands that reflect my tastes. It was not easy, I sent several emails with my material attached, but when Robert (the boss of Naturmacht) said he was willing to work with Disamara I was thrilled. Naturmacht represents much more than I expected for a small reality like Disamara and maybe I, unlike Robert, didn't have a vision wider of my  project. I'm just a artisan who creates his works and everything is welcome

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal that have heard it so far?

Needless to say, the contribution of Naturmacht Productions was decisive in making the album known worldwide. Well, I would say that the reactions so far have always been positive and the thing that I like the most and a little leaves me stunned is how these reactions come from the most disparate parts of the world, it is amazing to know that there are people, even very distant from each other, that listening to my songs have heard something. I'm the last of the romantics ha ha.

9.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I intend to continue producing my music with Disamara and to play with the bands of which I am a bass player if the gods want it. I also have another project under development and in this case I would like to collaborate with other musicians but at the moment Disamara's Black metal keeps the priority

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Let's say that having started listening to black metal in the mid 90's my influences start from far away. The Norway of those years has always been a great reference point for me and I believe that this influence can be seen on "Notturna è la quiete”. Band like Ulver, early Borknagar, Satyricon, Darkthrone, Helheim, Solefald, Ved Buens Ende. Even some Italian bands hit me, one on all Spite Extreme Wing. Then over the years other things have affected and influenced me like certain tribal and primitive music, minimalist music and then I am a great fan of hard rock, psychedelic rock and progressive rock, certain new wave and much more. Furthermore, what influences my music is not only the music but also the nature, the painting, the novels I read, the moods ... Nowadays I listen to bands like Grift, Stilla, Earth and Pillars, Manii, some Canadian bands ... I really liked the last Blut Aus Nord

11.What are some of your non musical interests?

I love doing too many things and also doing nothing ha ha

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

If you have the opportunity, listen to "Notturna è la quiete", read the lyrics and let yourself be carried away. Always support underground, there are often real artists under them. The river flows but his bed will not be his grave

Bandcamp
Facebook
SoundCloud


No comments:

Post a Comment