Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Svarteld Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

I've been involved in music since the early 90's but it hasn't led to anything really. The foundation for Svarteld was probably born back around 04-05.
I have a tendency to start a project and then my brain over analyze everything and it often leads to the conclusion tat it sounds like shit and then I scrap it.
But this time around I was hellbent on getting it done and with the help from Daniel at Urkraft Fanzine I managed to get a demo done.



2.So far you have released a demo and a split, musically how do they both differ from each other?

Its basically all the same, the big difference between the split and the first and second press is that it has live drums and bass. On the first and second press (cassette) there wasn't any bass at all and the drums where programmed on my computer.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?

I wanted to tell a tale that has been growing in my mind for some years now. So it's a conceptual demo. It all takes part in the age when Christianity spread in to Scandinavia and especially Sweden. Though it's a fictional story and not really based on real history. In my story the natives battle the christians and the whole thing ends up with the christians in a big pile, maimed and burned.
The only thing based on real history is the way christians acted and how they forced people to adapt to their religion.



4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Svarteld'?

Svarteld translates into Black Fire.
It was Daniel at Urkraft that came with the name and I thought it fitted perfectly for what I wanted to tell with this project. Dark fucking hatred which ends in oblivion for christianity.


5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on both of the releases?

The front cover is a picture taken by Daniel (he has helped me alot).
It represents an Rune stone which is part of hour heritage and in the background the cross stands like a forgotten relic that is soon to be destroyed.

On the cassette releases I had the same cover but there was also a nature photo that was taken by me. On the first press of the cassette which I released myself there was an "poster" as well with a picture of a small lake and the logo. On the back of it you'll find the lyrics and also and old weapon shield for the province I come from.


6.With this project you record everything by yourself, are you open to working with other musicians or do you prefer to work solo?

That's not enteriley true.
I recorded all the guitars, vocals and programmed the drums on the two first presses. The guitar solo on Galder över Sejden was done by Jakob Björnfot from Kvaen.
On the split and on the third cassette press (actually number four) I had a drummer, Jimmy Svahn. He made the demo so much more alive with his drumming. I also had a bass player, Osgilliath (plays live guitar in Mist of Misery and live bass in Seid) and he did some really great stuff with a slightly punk'ish undertone to it. Turned out to work perfectly.

So I'm definitely open for the idea to work with others. We've even talked about doing some live gigs but only time will tell.


7.So far you have worked with 'Burning Skull Records' and 'Morbid Chapel Records' on the physical releases, you you feel both of these labels have been very helpful when it comes to getting your music out there heard?

I've also worked with Marwoaleth Records in UK. He released the second press of the tape on red shells. There was some misunderstanding so the batch he got was black shells, the company also sent the right ones. So the second press turned into one batch of black and one with red shells.

But to answer your question, yes I do feel that they helped me alot. I just think it's great that someone wanted to release it. To get it on vinyl means alot as well. I collect vinyls and cassettes so it was a big moment. Though I think I've gotten the biggest response after Morbid Chapel released his press of the cassette.


8.Recently you where a apart of a split with 'Universal Disorder', what are your thoughts on the other musical project that was a part of the recording?

I hadn't actually heard anything with them before I was asked to be on the split. But it's really good stuff. Much more melancholic and dark than my material. Which I think worked great for the split release! No sense in having two bands that sounds the same.


9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of melodic black metal?

It hasn't gotten alot of attention but the feedback I've gotten is good. The common term seems to be icy cold and raw. I'm okay with that, kinda was my goal. But with lots of melodies.


10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

I'm working on new material every chance I get and my goal is to have the first album done by the end of this year. Jimmy and Osgilliath is aboard with this one as well and this time we'll take it as it comes. Don't want to rush things. One track is done and four more in the works.

I don't know about the future though. I will probably release more material but I don't know if we'll go playing live. Only time will tell.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

How much time do you have? Haha, but to name a few influences.
Mörk Gryning, Darkthrone, Naglfar, Catamenia, Windir, Sorhin, Blot Mine.

What I listen to though is so diverse and its to many bands to go into.
But everything basically. No rap or dansband (dance band) , Swedish equivalent for Country, doesn't sound the same but it holds the same meanings.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Thanks for the interview and the review. Keep an eye out for the album. It will have the same

Bandcamp
Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment