1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
We are a single entity, comprising four individuals bound together in the process of filtering the ancient sounds of our souls through the material of consensus reality.
2. How would you describe your musical sound?
Diverse expression on a pure collaborative level. We take atmospheric black metal as a sonic basis but impose no limitations on how our songs develop from there.
3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
We seek to expose the inherent darkness of the human soul while pointing to the inevitable light found when that darkness is acknowledged and accepted within the self.
4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the band's name?
"Barbelith" is derived from the comic book series "The Invisibles." The eponymous protagonists live outside the illusion of controlled society, fighting the forces that chain humankind. Barbelith is a sentient satellite object that appears to each of the main characters, helping them awaken from the dream and comprehend their innermost selves.
5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
We see our live performances as primal rituals that allow us to extend the energy of our personal practice to an audience. Each performance is special in different ways, but a recent highlight was our performance at this year's Ratscape festival in Baltimore.
6. Do you have any touring or show plans for the future?
We're currently taking a short break from live performance to focus on new material.
7. Currently you are unsigned, are you looking for a label or received any interest?
We are in the process of mixing two new songs for a 7-inch release. We hope to find a like-minded label to release them once they're ready. 8.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal?
Though our international audience is limited as of yet, those who have seen us perform or listened to our existing recordings have been very receptive to what we're doing, black metal fans included.
9.Are any of the band members involved with any other musical projects?
Though we approach Barbelith as a singular entity, we have very diverse interests as individuals. Our other projects include ¥awn, Nostalgique, Gutterhooks, Red Supergiant, Soul Glimpse, Eternity Eyes, Mark Plasma, and Pallid.
10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
More dense atmospherics and hypnotic melodies
11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
We take influence from our individual life situations and emotional struggles, incorporating those passions into our music. We each have individual influences, but it's not what we rely on for musical inspiration.
12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?
We are all active participants in Baltimore's arts culture. Our interests lie in any and all forms of higher expression.
13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
Your journey is always in bloom