Sunday, November 10, 2019

Lunacy Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
Lunacy was formed in 2014. From the beginning, it was me and Morena. I write music, lyrics and play all the instruments. Morena is a singer. To this moment, we have had one split album with Closed Room (we both are members of the band) and two full length albums. More to come.

2.You have a new album coming out towards the end of November, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
Every time I try something new. Different approaches to arrangements, different sounds of the instruments. Just different colors.
But, at the same time, it is still my music. The colors are different, but the plot more or less is the same. You can play a single melody, but achieve something completely new.
For sure, I do not play the same melody, but this is still me with my style of playing and my taste.

3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band has explored so far with the music?
The main topic is my life. I write about my views, experience, about what I like and what I do not like. About me (or us) as a part of nature and how I see it.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Lunacy'?
Usually, “Lunacy” is something about madness or insanity. You will definitely find these words if you try to look for the meaning.
But I found this title in a book and there was a completely different description.
Lunacy is a night, when all animals are getting together and celebrating their Wild Life.
And it is not about a man.

5.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
It was made by Maksim Hintau. He is a talented guy who understands what I want to get. I tell him my vision and then we just finalize it together.

This is a continuation of the artwork that was on the first album. The main character is on his journey. Like me with music.

6.Currently there are only 2 members in the band, are you open to expanding the line up or do you prefer to remain a duo?
I have so many ideas to release... I just do not want to spend my time showing my music to other musicians, spend time for rehearsals and so forth. I can play guitar, bass, drums, piano. It is enough for me. Maybe, if my skills are not enough in the future, I will hire somebody else, but it is not for now.

7.The new album is coming out on 'Valse Sinistre', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
The label is from Romania. They found us before the first Closed Room album. “My Favourite Dreams” is my fourth release with the label.

8.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of metal and post rock?
We have received some positive reviews. From time to time, I receive emails or messages with words of gratitude from people all over the World. But we do not play gigs, so it is hard to measure the reaction.

9.What is going on with 'Closed Room' these days?
It is on pause. We live in different cities. It is hard to write something together. I definitely want to create something new with the project, but cannot guarantee it will happen.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I have no ideas and I really like it. It is an endless journey. I do not remember the beginning and, I hope, it is not the end. Just more music, more experiments and more great moments.

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
I am a huge fan of music. I have hundreds of my favorite bands/artists and albums.
Ulver and The Necks, The Beatles and The Beach Boys (“Pet Sounds” and “Smile”), Pink Floyd and  Bill Evans, Anathema and Alcest,  Burzum and Darkthrone, The Cure and Oasis, Kraftwerk and My Bloody Valentine, Metallica and Bathory… Rock, metal, jazz, classical, experimental…   It is an endless list.
But it is not an influence like a desire to copy something. It does not work like I listen to the band and then just copy them.
The latest album contains many elements from 50’s and 60’s. But you will never think about 60’s, because it is something completely different. I just know about these options and I use them, when it is required.

12.What are some of your non musical interests?
Nature. For sure, it is the main inspiration in my life. I like to spend my time just walking around, visiting forests and lakes. Occasionally I travel abroad just to visit some beautiful places.
Nature, different seasons, weather – these all have a huge influence on me and my music.
Less is better. Do you know what I mean?

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Check the album and, maybe, your 40 minutes will be good and you will enjoy it.
Thank you for your interest and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment