Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Die Kunst der Finsternis Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?

This vision was born in need of making lugubrious and macabre art while my main band Hetroertzen was inactive for a certain period.
At the same time I wanted to resurrect old ideas and scriptures from some other old projects hat unfortunately never saw the light, but instead created a necessary frustration and a great wish to concentrate that vision in a more abstract form.
That is why Die Kunst der Finsternis took life; First as a bridge between Hetroertzen´s silence and then as a parallel manner of expressionism which was always something I fell for.


2.You have a new album coming out on Halloween, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?

The concept of Die Kunst der Finsternis is always circulating, changing, developing for some, withering for others… But still active and very much alive, because it was dead, so you know the dead can not be killed.
I refer to this path not as a new beginning, but as an old resurrection or as I would henceforth call it; an “Exhumation”.
Musically is about horror, true Goethean or Göthik horror mixed with rotten Metal of Death, Doom or Cave Rock for instances… It is all your heart might desire, it has no boundaries with any music styles and the answer to that is simple; There is no record label or a any singular person telling me what or not to write or compose. Art comes from dark magic and creativity enforces it, what it comes is a mere result of that formulae.


3.From 2013 to 2017 you also put this project on hiatus, what was the decision behind the return?

The sacred return of Hetroertzen was the main reason why Die Kunst der Finsternis reached “the sides of the earth” and the state of lethargy. Hetroertzen have prepared the Magnum Opus “Exaltation of Wisdom” and there was no reason to continue with this project whatsoever. The main focus was based upon important things, dealing with some real magic. Preparing the bridge for our future...
What happened next was a mixtures of feelings that eventually forced or better said, stimulated my persona to take back this cadaver from it´s very putrid hole. But if I was to take this back it should definitively not be the same as before but something else; Not new, but different. Something that carries the stench of a mouldering crypt to every single heart. So it came back to stay with the half dead. They who embrace the things beyond the crypt.


4.A lot of your lyrics deal with gothic horror and nightmares, can you tell us a little bit more about your interest in those topics?

That interest comes from long, long ago, since I was a child, hiding in dark rooms. Playing with toys, not afraid, but concerned of what would ever happen. As the years passed by, I grown up listening to rock and heavy metal and found myself that real friend everyone dreams about and never let go. In any case, that music influence was no more than a distraction or a bridge to create my link to the unknown and a way to express my feelings and thoughts. Later on when I was at the university, I found the ultimate climax in old cemeteries and mausoleums, Spending several hours and sometimes many nights there amongst the dead, studying, writing, thinking, creating… All coming.
The rest is just a mirror reflecting those moments of my “undead” life.


5.You also cover Vampirism and Occultism, how would you describe your views on the paranormal and dark arts?

Vampirism is a sort of occult practice that can be performed with alchemical approaches and elemental astral knowledge. It is all about energy and circulation; "Take and give, give and take". The understanding of the rules of nature, stellar motion and above all… Mankind. The Occult is a major variety of this concept and the mother of Vampirism; Hence it protects this way and keeps it “safe” from the dirty hands of man. The occult acts and responses can be seen as paranormal by common people since they do not understand how such things really work. People are trained to obey and learn in order to serve, get a reward for it and be happy with it as the kind of life they got; meaning safety, security, a future, a status, a faith if, etc.
When you deny all this and serve the powers of nature and the infinite, you are automatically “serving the forces of darkness and evil” and that makes you an Heretic or a practicer of the Dark Arts. When someone embraces it, things are going to happen, much bigger that the wonders of the world.


6.I know that the music project was named after the German term for 'The Art Of Darkness', how does this name fit in with the musical style that you play?

The answer is already there in the music. It was first taken from Johan Sebastian Bach masterwork “Die Kunst der Fuge” (The art of Fugue) But interpreted in the darkest ways, removing the sacral aura, altering and sickening the meaning to make it a somber and lugubrious version that serve the dead instead of the living and praise the graveyards instead of the church. Reaping your heart instead of warming it up.


7.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?

It is rare Art inspired by old German Expressionism and the Gothic (Goethean) Horror. Just like those forgotten books about the creatures of the night and the like.
It is repugnant elegance and deadly luxury. Not recommended for the ones who cannot see beyond. So much I can tell you.


8.With this project you record everything by yourself but also have experience playing in other bands, which one do you prefer solo or working with a band?

Obviously it is the easiest thing to work alone since it keep your mind developing further while not holding back any limits. Since this project is about mere expressionism, it is my own way to spit out feelings and emotions, that would most likely never work out with other individuals sitting around me, while in the writing or recording process. The “good” thing in this is the variety of un-compromised vibes along the music and poetry if you know what I mean.


9.You are also play a variety of many different instruments, which one do you feel you are the most skilled at?

Hard to say. I am not a talented musician but I try my best and believe me when I say I try hard to master every piece to make it fit in the whole composition and make it sound as good as it possibly can, when it comes to sound and emotions.
For instances, it feels sometimes like singing is the best way to reflect the aura that enriches the music. Thus I could never say it is “my thing”. No matter how; every instrument is a part of the entire concept as every effort make a result. A stair for the greater good.


10.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?

It varies. Some like it and feel identified with it while some others keep it true and rooted to the old times… A more “conservative” tribe that prefers not to take any chance with new approaches whatsoever… They will surely stop at any point or not even care to give a shot to DKDF.
Full gratitude to the ones who understand my way of writing and making music while I respect those trying hard to keep that old flame alive. I am old too... I started playing BM in the beginning of the nineties. But you all shall know that this is not a facade, but another way to express real darkness as an individual that has experienced it in many ways. BM is not the only path to achieve darkness or approach the occult. Specially considering the ways BM music has taken nowadays.


11.What is going on with some of the other bands or musical projects these days that you are a part of?

The only band I am officially playing in is Hetroertzen and right now, we are preparing some new stuff. In case anyone wonder why we have kept so silent this long.
Besides, I have been working hard in the studio helping other bands with their productions, but this does not make me a part of their bands as some people might believe.
Not mention my mysterious participation in “bands” I have no idea of their pathetic existence.



12.Where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?

Not much, I believe DKDF shall never see the lights of the stage and being honest, I will just be thankful enough to be able to continue expressing my art the way it should be, not following any statement, nor trend, neither false doctrines. Art comes from darkness and that is why Die kunst der Finsternis has been “exhumed” from the dead…


13.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Not so easy to answer…  I think the style of music I listen or take inspiration from, may vary depending on my mood, the weather, the circumstances, etc.
To try making it simple, I can say that classic music is always there while writing lyrics and poetry, Operas inspires me to prepare myself before singing or interpreting my songs. Of course there are plenty of old rock and heavy metal bands playing every time I take the guitar and plug it in. This same receipt has worked many times before.
I do not want to shock you but nowadays I listen from 80´s punk, cave rock, classic doom and classical composers indeed.


14.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?

Of course not!. Just check out Die Kunst Der Finsternis. You might love it. Or hate it, who cares.

/D.

No comments:

Post a Comment