Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Draept Interview

1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the musical project?



ML: DRAEPT is my studio/recording project where I do all the song writing, playing, recording, producing and so on. One of the general ideas was to invite other musicians to contribute to my songs and recordings. This far both releases features singer Martin Abraham. Most of the recording process is made in my home with my instruments and a computer with a DAW, but some of the stuff is recorded in a proper recording studio. When it comes to the composing or song writing I’ve worked from an idea that I’ve recorded and then let inspiration or whatever do the rest and record what has come to mind at the moment. Guitar is my main instrument so I usually compose on guitar.



2.With this project you have released 2 ep's so far, musically how do they both differ from each other?



ML: The big difference is that I’ve worked more with the songwriting and the production on the second release. The material on both releases has derived from riffs or ideas that I’ve gotten from when I play guitar on my own, and that has inspired me to go on and make songs of them. For the second release I worked the material over more thoroughly and tried different stuff for the arrangements and the different parts. I’ve also experimented with different tunings on the different instruments on each song to create harmonies that sound interesting. I also put more work into mixing the second release.



3.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects you have explored so far with your music?



MA: Western mysticism and occultism. Eliphas Levi, Israel Regardie and the likes  are currently a big influence in my writing. But also modern writers like HP Lovecraft has left a big impression on me.



4.You also release solo music under your real name, musically how does 'Draept' differ from your solo material?



ML: My other work as a soloartist is either very experimental sort of industrial soundscapes or rhythmic techno songs. With DRAEPT I’ve made music that is more traditional in the sense that I’ve mostly used the normal rock music instrumentation with drums, bass, guitar and vocals. I’ve played in bands from when I was like 16, but this is the first time I’ve released rock or metal or whatever on my own.



5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name ’Draept'?



 ML: The word ’draept’ is a word that means ’killed’ in Swedish and Norwegian, but I’ve spelled it a bit different from how it’s now usually spelled in either of those languages. I wanted the name to match the overall black metal sound of the music and the transgressive approach of that particular genre.



6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the ep cover?



ML: The cover art is always kind of a problem for me since I am totally focused on the music and all the different aspects of writing, recording and producing it. When it comes to releasing the stuff I always find myself not having a slightest idea of how I want to present it visually. So usually I just start searching for a picture that I can use and that I think fits the overall approach of the music and then I basically make a cover with that picture. The artwork for the latest release has a picture from a Japanese movie. I haven’t seen the film but I like the picture.



7.With the exception of a session vocalist you record all the music by yourself, are you open to expanding into a whole band or do you prefer to keep 'Draept' as a studio project?



ML: I would say that Martin is more than a session singer. He has written all the lyrics and arranged the vocal parts and he has also given me input and feedback on the final mixing of the songs. I consider him a big part of the whole project. He is also a very good friend of mine and we’ve had musical collaborations since about ten years back. We also played together in the same band for seven years. So there is more to him singing on the recording than the fact that he has a great voice for those songs. When it comes to expanding DRAEPT into a proper band I am totally open to that idea. With the right people and a plan I think it would be a great band.



8.All of the material with both musical projects has been released on 'Entartete Muzak Productions', can you tell us a little bit more about this label?



ML: It is simply a name to release my music under and a way for me to keep track of copyrights and such.



9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?



ML: The reactions I’ve gotten are all positive. But with all the music released today it is hard to get through to people. I love the possibilities of the internet with cheap and easy ways to release music, but so does everyone else also. The result being that there is so much music released that it is impossible for anyone to keep track of everything that might be interesting to check out.



10.When can we expect a full length and also where do you see yourself heading into as a musician during the future?



ML: A third release with DRAEPT is planned and partly recorded already. Besides from that and having a full time job I also play guitar with my band KHARVA and work with a bunch of other music projects. I want to keep some of them a secret so for now I won’t tell more than that. There’s really more going on than I have the time for. But I love making music. That is what keeps me going. I don’t make any money from it. At least not enough to live on. But it keeps me alive spiritually.



11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?



ML: I listen to so much different music and I like to discover music that I haven’t listen to previously. I try to keep my mind open to music and learn from it to develop myself as a musician. With DRAEPT there’s an obvious influence from the bands in the black metal scene. I love the early Norwegian stuff like Darkthrone but also bands like MGLA and Blut Aus Nord to name a few.



12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?



ML: Yes. Thanks. And to everybody else: Love one another.

https://www.facebook.com/draept/

No comments:

Post a Comment