Tuesday, October 1, 2019

Nocturnal Interview

1.Can you give us an update on what has been going on with the band since the recording of the new album?
Since the recording of the album the main focus has really been on working towards the release. There has been some work on material for the next release nothing complete yet though.

2.In October you have a new album coming out, musically how does it differ from the stuff you have released in the past?
It really doesn’t differ to much from previous material. It’s the next logical step. It’s been 19 years or so since the last release so we didn’t want to come back with something sounding very modern or vastly different. If you’re familiar with the old material you will definitely recognize the dark, miserable, hateful traits.

3. This is also your first album since 2000, can you tell us a little bit more about what has been going on during that time frame?
There was never a moment I sat down and said that’s it I’m done with the band. After the release of ‘To the Far Horizons’, in 2000 I remember thinking that the scene being overly saturated and wanted to asses the next move to take with the band and here we are 19 years later.
As far ‘The Greater Emptiness’, goes it really sounds like it could have been recorded around the same time frame. I was discussing it with someone and they remarked how its as if no time has passed at all, it’s the type of album you really don’t get anymore with that mid 90’s feel to it.

4.What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the new album and also how would you describe your progress as songwriters over the years?
Darkness, hate, misery. Transcending this miserable world. I think this new album contains some of the darkest lyrics I’ve written.
Over the years the song writing process has remained the same, it’s basically me sitting in a room with my guitar and trying to come up with riffs and evolve those riffs into something special.

5.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Nocturnal'?
Of the night, of the darkness. To play and create this type of music with any type of sincerity you really have to embrace it somewhat. Nocturnal is an exploration and an acceptance of the darker aspects of the world and within myself so I wanted a name that reflected that.

6.Can you tell us a little bit more about the artwork that is presented on the new album cover?
The Artwork was created by the incredible Worthless Endeavours and really encapsulates the soul and the feel of the album. An empty, soulless creature. The darkness that resides in us all....

7.The band started out as a solo project, what was the decision behind expanding into a duo?
It was really A. Frore that got the ball rolling on bringing Nocturnal back from the dead. He asked me if I had ever thought about doing another album. So the seed was planted but I told him I would only do it if he joined on drums. He was the only person I have ever considered letting in and it’s worked out amazing.

8.The new album is coming out on 'Seance Records' how would you compare them to other labels that you have worked with in the past?
Seance is the premier Black Metal label in Australia. Other labels I have dealt with although have been great haven’t really understood black metal and the scene exclusively. I’m really happy and honoured to have this album coming out through them.

9.On a worldwide level how has the reaction been to your music by fans of black metal?
The reaction has been great thus far. I think there is a need for an album like this at the moment. You see release after release from supposed black metal bands but the essence of what it actually is and means seems to have been lost some what. Today’s bands they claim to be influenced by the likes of Bathory, Venom, Hellhammer etc. but you really don’t hear it in the music at all.
Someone mentioned to me it’s the type of album you really don’t hear anymore and I think the positive response the album has been receiving reflects that.

10.Where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
I don’t think stylistically I can see the band changing too much at all. But there is definitely some areas of the sound I would like to expand upon and a few elements I would like to add. It’s only going to get darker.....

11.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your newer music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Really my listening tastes haven’t changed too much over the years. Obviously there is Venom and Bathory early Slayer. The second wave of Black Metal had a huge impact on me stylistically with not just the Norwegian bands but a lot of the music that was happening around the world at the time like in Greece etc. There is also to a lot more ambient/ drone type music and even classical.
A lot of the more modern black metal really doesn’t do too much for me at all, but there is the occasional thing that grabs me and gives me that old feeling. The Ichor album which is also on Seance is killer really gave me that old school black metal vibe also I’ve been listening to Lantern a lot really has that dark feeling.

12.Does Satanism or Occultism play any role on your music?
That’s a pretty loaded question as it really depends on how you define satanism. I mean in the early days I was very involved and read a lot of the occult literature but there was a conscious decision after the first demo not have the lyrics so literal. I mean every band and their dog were writing the same stuff “hail Satan” etc and it all seemed rather superfluous and shallow from a musical perspective.
So yeah it influences definitely but it’s much more from my experience and perception of it rather than pilfering old grimoires and witchcraft literature for very literal references. All lyrics are very personal but are very open for the listener to take what they will from it.

13.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Thanks OBM Zine for the interview and support, see you in the Great Emptiness of Death.....

Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment